Making Lemonade [Selective Culling Project - very long term]

If you've said this anywhere and I missed it I am so sorry. About what age do you usually cull your extra roosters you know you don't want? I've got some extra males i know aren't going to be making it to 6 months, probably closer to 4.5/5 months depending on their hormones. 🥴

If you've said this anywhere and I missed it I am so sorry. About what age do you usually cull your extra roosters you know you don't want? I've got some extra males i know aren't going to be making it to 6 months, probably closer to 4.5/5 months depending on their hormones. 🥴
The target is between 12 and 18 weeks. The reality is more like 16-22. I'm still very bad at identifying males, and culling takes second position behind a bunch of other activities on the farm/homestead/housebuild I also have to do. Today's culling was two days delayed from an effort to catch up for last week - and I only took half the birds I intended.

Everything takes more time than it should.

Oh that's probably really good with the hint of mustard. Never heard of using ham, gonna have to try it.

I've never put mustard in it.

It's pretty much exactly like chicken pot pie -- rich broth, potatoes, carrots, onions, and the dumplings.

My family tradition is to pull the meaty ham bone out before putting the dumplings in and slice the meat at the table. I often pull the meat off the bone and put it back into the broth (another heresy, but I find that the ham on the bone gets cold waiting).

We do shepherds pie, or cottage pie, then cover with mashed potato.

And I make italian sausage with my birds all the time, breakfast sausage frequently. Both are fresh" sausages. We don't really have the climate for a dried sausage unfortunately. Would love to make an air cured pepperoni or salumi, but all I'd be creating is a trip to the ER with extreme gastrointestinal distress and severe food poisoning - and since the closest ER just shut down... I'd rather not.

We do shepherds pie, or cottage pie, then cover with mashed potato.

And I make italian sausage with my birds all the time, breakfast sausage frequently. Both are fresh" sausages. We don't really have the climate for a dried sausage unfortunately. Would love to make an air cured pepperoni or salumi, but all I'd be creating is a trip to the ER with extreme gastrointestinal distress and severe food poisoning - and since the closest ER just shut down... I'd rather not.

What about a little smoker to dry meat and give it that flavor? You can get small smokers for a decent price.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220518-085133.png
    Screenshot_20220518-085133.png
    413.9 KB · Views: 3

Back
Top Bottom