Making Lemonade [Selective Culling Project - very long term]

Sadly not. Too much rain, then too danged hot. Had a tree fall on my electric fence, spent part of a day cleanign chainsaws, cutting it away. WAY too much time fixing the AC on the RV. Including at 1am. Wiring to the compressor is old and corroded, keeps failing, sparking, and consuming connectors. New (heavy duty) connectors and larger wire on order, should arrive this week. We are at around 38? hours w/o a failure from my last patch it together temporary repair, which is the longest its held in the last two weeks.

Oh, and my main egg buyer did disappear. Shorted me not only the value of 18 doz eggs, but also the value of the 16 dozen for the next week I had set aside for them, plus a number of plastic egg flats.

I need to cull hard, but haven't had the energy to face the heat after spending even short periods of time working on the house.
That's alot going on. Is it possible to replace the AC instead of trying to repair it if possible?

We had a tree smash the mixed flock run, a couple years ago. It was a tree that would've destroyed the coop if professionals didn't come out, & taken it down. The run repair wasn't an issue.

That's alot going on. Is it possible to replace the AC instead of trying to repair it if possible?

We had a tree smash the mixed flock run, a couple years ago. It was a tree that would've destroyed the coop if professionals didn't come out, & taken it down. The run repair wasn't an issue.
an extra $800 I haven't got, then me carrying a a 74# AC unit up a ladder and manipulating it on top of an RV roof in triple digit heat indexes, alone? Yeah, its possible. Just not wise.
It all comes down to wiring. They have what looks like 14ga stranded aluminum (its probably copper, turned grey/white with age) in now brittle insulation carrying 12.8 amps. More when we go over 100 degrees. Brand new, the wire is only rated at 15 amps, and its most of 10 years old. Oh, and the conectors are aluminum - spade connectors like you would use in your car....

I have new 10ga stranded copper coming with MUCH better connectors, at which point my wires should stop overheating, and my problems go away. The rest of the system only pulls three amps, so I don't have to rewire the fan motor, thankfully. I will have to clean the carbon off the compressor terminals first, of course. Again.

an extra $800 I haven't got, then me carrying a a 74# AC unit up a ladder and manipulating it on top of an RV roof in triple digit heat indexes, alone? Yeah, its possible. Just not wise.
It all comes down to wiring. They have what looks like 14ga stranded aluminum (its probably copper, turned grey/white with age) in now brittle insulation carrying 12.8 amps. More when we go over 100 degrees. Brand new, the wire is only rated at 15 amps, and its most of 10 years old. Oh, and the conectors are aluminum - spade connectors like you would use in your car....

I have new 10ga stranded copper coming with MUCH better connectors, at which point my wires should stop overheating, and my problems go away. The rest of the system only pulls three amps, so I don't have to rewire the fan motor, thankfully. I will have to clean the carbon off the compressor terminals first, of course. Again.
I've never heard of an AC costing $800. I was talking about a standard household AC that's between $65 - $100, or so dollars.

But I can see you're talking about a built in AC though. I don't know much about wiring.

Yeah, I could get a window unit for about $250 adequate to the size of the RV, except RV windows aren't designed for window unit air conditioners. The RV walls aren't thick enough, and the windows don't open wide enough (only 14"). My wife spent a day looking online.
There's minis.
Let me do another search.

Back
Top Bottom