Making Lemonade [Selective Culling Project - very long term]

Thank you. I've looked through 20 or so pages and I'll have to keep reading so I can avoid experiencing similar issues

What I should have originally done personally is study far more before ever beginning in the first place

Painting is easier with a blank canvas, rather than painting over something else
Yes, the point of this project, in part, was to demonstrate that - with time and tenacity - one could start with clearly sub-par birds and eventually have something to be proud of, suited to local conditions.

But I've always anticipated that it would be at least five years before I had anything to show for it as a deliberate outcome, as opposed to happy accident, and at least another 10 years before I had something I can be proud of.

Were I to do it over with the same end goal - I'd have started with much better (and different) stock. But during the start of the pandemic, you bought what was available or you left with nothing (and plenty of times I made the drive, only to find out they had sold out in less than the 1/2 hour+ drive time one way).

Back from the feed store, 30A supply is fixed, YAY! :)
500# of feed still to unload. Uuugh :(
Already in the low 90s and over 60% humidity. Mildly Dangerous.

Still need to go into actual town for shopping list and some oddball items. Meh.
Laundry list of other ...(stuff)... to do.

Oh, and I've already retrieved the tweezers someone (not me) dropped down the sink, and of course took the opportunity to clean the trap while I was there.

Success or Fail, I intend to leave this as record for myself, and example for others (of what not to do??)

No, this isn't a "Breed" project, I'm not that organized, and while I have the space, at current prices, its not worth the materials or flock sizes I would need to maintain to create something closely resembling a breed - rather, this is a plan to use selective incubation and culling to create, eventually, something resembling a dual purpose landrace suitable for (largely) free-ranging in my area -

Where: North FL Panhandle area comprised of sandy clay soils suitable for some prairie grasses, mustards, peanuts and upland hammocks of yupon holly, oak, hickory, pines (in order of frequency). Soil quality is both poor and dense, rainfall averages 1" per week+, seasonally heavy spring and summer, non existent late fall. That description would also include swaths of southern Alabama, SW Georgia. Summers routinely hit mid 90s at high humidity, winters will briefly drop below freezing (20s) for several days in a row, but don't maintain those temps. Frost line is 1/4".

What: a red-toned, patterned bird well suited for free ranging in these conditions, alert and intelligent. Low (120-150/yr) but moderately early (4-5mo avg) egg production and cream to tinted egg color, medium-large in size. A good bulk and moderate to somewhat early growth rates (4.5# or greater live weight males at 12 weeks?) on a diet of free ranging and 20% protein feed at .2#/bird/day. Some comb, minimal or non-existent leg feathering. Broodiness is neither sought nor avoided. A dual purpose emphasizing meat over egg production.

Timeframe: I'm not going anywhere, I have years.

Flock size: Expect to maintain between 25 and 60 birds for the duration. Its a reality that my efforts WILL be "assisted" by natural predation, my hopes can't depend upon a single bird or birds. Incubations to maintain flock size will be monthly at a rate of 12 eggs/attempt, year round.

Costs: Existing hen house needs to be expanded, more likely will create a second and/or third house, to assist in segregating the flocks when needed. Existing run suitable without additional resources and can be partitioned, existing free range area is (electric) fenced and approximately 4.5 acres, 1/3 cleared, 2/3 upland hammock - underbrushing is an ongoing project. Readily able to be partitioned at need. Multiple existing grow out boxes in a sheltered and protected barn space. Feed, courtesy local mill, is $0.25/lb at 20% protein (mixing bags 1/1) and will be offered as a mash. Hatchlings will receive a medicated 24% protein feed at $0.32/lb for the first four weeks, 22% the next four weeks, then integrated with the existing flock.

The "Lemons": Breed Stock consists of Hatchery birds obtained from the local farm store (TSC, so Hoover's Hatchery in my area), half of which are themselves Mutts. The single rooster currently available to me was obtained by rehoming. Also a Mutt. Pictures to follow in subsequent comments.
Bielefelders are already created and sound exactly what you're looking for 💕

Bielefelders are already created and sound exactly what you're looking for 💕
A good breed, but too much grey /white/blue in too many of them, the eggs are darker than I'd like as well. By report, they are also to docile to be great free rangers.

Picture stolen from a popular, if expensive, breeder -
1688224907290.png

maybe 20 pages back, when I was discussing what genes I might be bringing in in the coming year or two, I think I settled on something else. _i'll check_

A good breed, but too much grey /white/blue in too many of them, the eggs are darker than I'd like as well. By report, they are also to docile to be great free rangers.

Picture stolen from a popular, if expensive, breeder -
View attachment 3562156

maybe 20 pages back, when I was discussing what genes I might be bringing in in the coming year or two, I think I settled on something else. _i'll check_
Was it phoenixes maybe?

Back
Top Bottom