Making money on a small hobby farm?

What people always ask us about is good laying pullets for their backyards. We have no difficulty selling whatever surplus birds we might have left at the end of the season. So while this may not be much of a profit, it does help cover costs. What I'm thinking of doing is switch to a pure-bred flock. People are willing to pay more for pure-bred, and the cost of raising them would be the same (after we make up for the original investment in the stock).

Thats odd. I can never sell laying pullets. Even for 10 bucks at 7 months.

Waddles, I guess it's a question of supply and demand. Around here people are happy to buy pullets. We're sure thankful for that.

Yes, it definetly is. Around me a lot of towns outlaw chickens, so not many people are in the market, I guess. Plus people like to raise them up from chicks. They think the chicks are cute.

I raise chicks to the point of not needing heat, about 4 to 6 weeks, and then sell the pullets. Cockerels are pretty obvious from my flock at that point. And lots of first timers are nervous about raising day olds. They prefer to buy chicks they can be sure of, in terms of gender, and not have to worry about killing their new babies with too much or not enough heat. And they are still young enough to be socialized with people. If they've got older birds already, the chicks can go straight to the grow out to begin getting used to the adults.
I can get $10 a chick for them at that age. Around here, I'd be lucky to get $2 for unsexed chicks.
Just 3 pullets can pay for feed and the cost of incubating and brooding.
Same can be done for ducks and turkeys. Or you can try raising game, like pheasant.
For rabbits, you will have to do a bit of research. Are you in an area where pets are more popular or is it meat that people are after? This will determine which type you raise, and how much you can get for them. One type of rabbit that is really in demand, nation-wide, is fiber rabbits. Angoras can cost quite a bit to acquire, but you can sell the wool online, so you sales aren't limited to your local market.

Back
Top Bottom