making my own feed

risingeaglefarm

Chirping
5 Years
Oct 2, 2014
I'm planning on making my own feed to give to my birds. I have mainly quail, but soon getting ducks and chickens too. The feed I'm giving now doesn't meet their dietary needs for protein and calcium as is, but its all I can find in store. I want to plant some grain and mix my own feed.

So I wanted to know what do you feed your birds?

Right now I'm planning on incorporating:
Corn
Wheat
Millet
Sunflower seeds
Pumpkin seeds
Eggshells
Earthworms
Mealworms
Wax worms
Freshwater clam shells
Freshwater snails
Fish (in duck feed)
Slugs
Apples
Sarvest berries
Grasshoppers
Crickets
Beetles
Rye
Barley
Milo
Alfalfa
Wild broccoli
Grass clippings
Anything I should add?
Any info on growing these plants or feeding to birds? Or anything else you can tell me? Do you think this will meet their needs and in what proportions should I mix?

What do you feed to your birds? I want them to have a well balanced diet.

If I was planning to do that I would look into the best organic feed and there ingredients and try to duplicate that. Also look into each grain because certain ones have adverse effects when used in bulk. I would make everything free choice. Maybe have a mix of grains in one container, the minerals and stuff in another, corn and veggies in one and calcium in one. Chckens for the most part et what they need. Eapecialy if they are free ranging. Mine dispise the peas in there feed and won't eat there so there's peas all over there run lol BUT when the peas get wet from rain or whatever and they sprout little tails the chickens will gobble them all up. Look into sprouted grains too. It provides more nutrition because when sprouted animals and humans can use more of the grain because in the sprouted form it's easier to digest.

I looked, and there aren't any ingredients on the bags of feed!
That's a good idea, I probably will do that. Sprouted makes sense to.

I get my feed from country side organics and there ingredients are listed on the website. Any feed without ingredients listed I would seriously question....I'm a little crazy about what I put in my body and my animals bodies

Back
Top Bottom