Making my run into an orchard - suggestions needed

We are planting a dwarf fruit tree orchard as well, but not with our chickens. Our coop is in the back yard, where the kids play, and we too get poop on the deck... I wonder if goats and chickens get along?

My goat doesn't have a problem with the chickens, nor do they with him, but he will eat every bit of chicken feed he can get his goat lips on (and will burgle the coop if given the opportunity) so you'd want to come up with a fenced area or some way for your chickens to eat that the goat can't get into....

Before I turn my run into an orchard I would research the amount of 'fertilizer' your planned fruit trees will tolerate.

I seem to recall fruit trees being quite particular about the amount, type and timing of their feedings.

Granted, only four hens over a large enough area may not be enough to put the trees over the edge but you know how flock sizes are known to increase.
wink.png

Thanks for the advice JohnL- I wasn't planning to turn mine into an "everyday" run (rather more "rotational pasture") but I wouldn't have thought of that aspect at all and will have to do some further reseach. This is why I love BYC!

I love John Silviera's plan, too. Unfortunately, I think his coop/run/garden is bigger than our entire lot. We live on a 1/4 acre lot in the middle of a residential neighborhood in a small city. The goat comment was a joke.
wink.png
But who knows.... it's not like a goat is any smellier or noisier than a dog...

Back
Top Bottom