Making nests

Jul 22, 2021
I have a patch of grass that I've let grow to make a sort of nest with to put in the nesting boxes. It's grown almost waist high now but I'm not sure how to make it. They kick all pine shavings out of the nesting box so I thought if I could sort of weave together a nest to put on top of the pine they wouldn't be able to kick it out as easily? Does anyone have any simple ideas of how to throw something like this together?

I have a patch of grass that I've let grow to make a sort of nest with to put in the nesting boxes. It's grown almost waist high now but I'm not sure how to make it. They kick all pine shavings out of the nesting box so I thought if I could sort of weave together a nest to put on top of the pine they wouldn't be able to kick it out as easily? Does anyone have any simple ideas of how to throw something like this together?
They will weave it; all you need to do is put an armful in the nest box. This is what mine did with a ball of long soft grass. It is interesting to watch them do it. They will sit a bit, then take one stem in their beak, sit holding it for a little while, then tuck it in on their other side. Look at for a moment, adjust it sometimes. Repeat.

They don't have a community nest anymore but they did the same thing in their crate nests. It just doesn't photograph as clearly.

I agree with getting the lip.

Also, they round it down about as deep as half way up their bodies when they are sitting in the nest. That may be deeper than more nest boxes allow.

Attachments

• 557B24BD-9E05-4267-8D22-397109D8F293.jpeg
    557B24BD-9E05-4267-8D22-397109D8F293.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 3
Mine just kept pulling it out so I gave up. Lined the nest with artificial turf so they have something soft but can't keep yanking it out.

Back
Top Bottom