making only scratch

motherhen58

Hatching
6 Years
Apr 26, 2013
Comanche Oklahoma
We have a small flock off about 20 is getting so expensive to feed them we have two pairs a Canadian geese that live here you're around and we also have a bunch of doves that have Called this home we are fine trying to find a cheaper way of feeding them and meaning of making our own scratch instead of buying it we're having to pay $13 a bag or 50 pounds and is getting a little bit expensive on a fixed income

Greetings from Kansas, motherhen58, and
welcome-byc.gif
! Pleased you joined us! Sorry I don't have any advice on lowering your poultry feed bill!

welcome-byc.gif
We have tons of Canada Geese roaming our area, they are by no means migratory. Nobody has to feed them - they are quite capable of taking care of themselves. I don't know what they eat during our rotten winters but, their flocks are as big as ever. I really do think you could wean them off any scratch you give them and they will adjust. Its spring now and they will find lots of their typical things to eat.

The doves can find their own food also. You just made it so easy for them they don't have to bother. Chickens on the other hand, need to be fed if they aren't free ranging all day. I'm not sure what you mean by scratch but if it is corn, that is like candy to them - just makes them fatter but, has little nutrition value.

I do understand what you are trying to accomplish, I am on very fixed income myself. I've had to par down to bare necessities. I can't afford to have any pets. For you this may mean keeping a smaller flock of chickens and being able to feed them better - and let the wild things be wild and feed themselves.

Hi and welcome to BYC from northern Michigan :D

Scratch is a grain mix, not intended for regular feeding of laying hens. If you feed the wild birds, you might offer them just a little cracked corn, and buy layer feed for your flock.

These are my husband chickens I am just trying to help him cut back on the use of chicken scratch you feed them we have two separate groups because we have two roosters that do not like each other so one day one gets to free range on a couple acres and the other one stay inside the pen but he's constantly putting food and there's one out in the field tell him that's too much we do have two pairs of Canadian geese that they were born here two of them and their parent dies today we're basically raised here and they brought back a mate so he feed them doves have gone so smart they figured out how to get into the chicken coop to get food I need to know how much you feed chickens how you feed them were you feed them and all all that because we're beating too much to do chickens he feels the best what they need to survive on so help work I don't know what else to do

Back
Top Bottom