making the run cheaper...

None of the above will work without a welded wire or a solid roof over the entire outside pen.

I'm not sure I understand the correct definition of chicken "run". I thought the run is for the chicks during the day and since predators are mostly nocturnal, why isn't chicken wire on the run okay? I do have a question about the chicken coop. I am new to having chickens and my husband built an enclosed coop to put the chickens in at night. He used vertical wood 1 X 6 boards butted up to each other up to about 5 ft. then he put horizontal 1 X 6 boards up to the roof line which is a metal roof. On the sides he put 2 X 4's and there are gaps (probably up to 3") between the boards to allow for ventilation. Should all gaps this size be completely closed off or will this construction method keep our chickens safe from predators? Any feedback would be much appreciated. I'm worried about my chickies...

Are you using materials that are recycled, or do you plan on buying the materials new?

If you are buying new, I would suggest putting the money into 4ft tall electrified poultry netting. It probably would be a better option if you are concerned with predators.

If you are using recycled materials, it will depend on your comfort level. Ours are out all day long, with no predator problems. Even our cats won't mess with them. The ducks and geese are out 24/7 in the pen, and nothing bothers them. But, that's our area, and I'm sure yours is different.

Back
Top Bottom