Making your own feed

You can do it and does give a greater sense of control. Finding, purchasing and storing all the ingredients can be a challenge. Batches I make are small enough to mix by hand.

Do you have a balanced formulation in mind?

The video that I saw she used black oil sunflower seeds, whole corn, whole oats, DE - she also gave them grit... she did not measure anything when she mixed it...

Here is the video:

The second video is what I would follow for a closer to complete diet. It could still come up short on vitamins unless you include the Calf Manna. Protein levels she calculates for final product is a bit high if understood the ingredients list correctly.

The first person made a scratch mix very similar to mine except I do not use or advocate the use of DE. Behavior of her birds upon release is a strong indicator they are getting a significant proportion of their nutrition by foraging in the woods.

Batches I make are under 5 gallons in volume each time to help get thorough mixing without damaging your arms. My use of coarse ingredients is more than just about nutrient quality, it also allows seeing how uniform the mixture is by looking at it.

To up protein levels I use a combination of soybean meal and corn gluten meal where the lipid and carbohydrate fractions have been reduced. Fish meal is also a good approach when you can find it. Lately I have been using fish carcasses, but have trouble with dogs stealing that.

Here's another video that I am looking at...

I watched this video and then I hit excel. I posted a question on her video about the protein percents she talked about and I did not get what she said at 30% or even close.

#1 16.6# of Soy to 50# wheat, oats and corn and I got 14.89% and 166.6# of feed $0.19 a pound
#2 25# of Soy to 50# wheat, oats and corn and I got 16.57% and 175# of feed $0.19 a pound
#3 50# of Soy to 50# wheat, oats and corn and I got 20.75% and 200# of feed $0.21 a pound

Then I thought about meat bird feed and got this
#4 50# of soy, wheat, oats and 25#corn and I got 22.29% and 175# of feed

Comparing to my local feed store with layer pellets at $11.50 a bag and $0.23 a pound
Meat bird pellets are $16.50 a bag and $033 a pound.

#1 saved $7.34 per mix and cost $9.30 per 50#
#2 saved $6.75 per mix and cost $9.57 per 50#
#3 saved $5.00 per mix and cost $10.25 per 50#
#4 saved $16.75 per mix (compared to meat bird) and cost $11.71 per 50# (just barely more expensive that layer pellets)

Basically I could feed 22.29% layer feed with #4 to boost their protein while keeping minerals at the same cost or just more than layer pellets are to me now. I could also use this for meat birds.

#2 would match the layer pellets with whole grains, but is not really a cost savings very much at all. #3 is cheaper and boost protein, #4 is just barely more expensive and give the layer hens a lot of protein boost.

Last edited:
Ok some of you all review this and tell me thought on this. Trying to make a high protein layer feed and eventually a meat bird feed.

I just got the prices from the feed store today. Soy and fish meal are high in protein and alfalfa adds greens if they aren't free ranging.Soy is meal, fish and alfalfa is pellets

The second layer mix is a bit high for me.

The bottom meat bird mix is that too high for slow growing chickens? Make it 50# all around for 300# total and it goes to 26.6% protein. I think 22% is enough or should it be more?

Feed ideas_1.JPG

Back
Top Bottom