Making Yourself the Alpha Rooster in a Mixed Flock

Maybe keeping an eye on behaviour and recognising possible signs of potential human aggression before they translate into action is another option to consider. If your cockbird is not showing signs of human aggression, then all is well.

As with many things chicken - there's rarely a wrong or right way to do things. Our circumstances, environment and management styles differ. I'd suggest reading all advice and then decide what best suits you.
Not to mention every rooster is different. Or at least they're individuals so what works for one may not work for another.
It stands to reason that a rooster could just be plain mean and no method is going to change that. So on the flip side a rooster could be so docile that even if you did take the wrong approach that he would still turn out fine.
I have no doubt that anyone can dominate almost any rooster. But what's the end result? That's my curiosity. Seems if you are the alpha its now your job to take care of the flock.
A lot of the people that go through this have a rooster for flock protection. To me it seems if he is no longer alpha he is not going to put in much effort in protecting a flock that's not his.
The other reason for roosters is for fertile eggs. When people want to run and knock them off of hens and show them that's my hen not yours what is that doing to them? Seems counter productive to have a rooster for breeding but then telling him he doesn't get the right to breed.
I must say I'm not a rooster rehabilitater. I have kids and there's too many roosters out there that don't needed rehabilitated to keep any around that would put my kids at risk.
Now back in the day I've had a rooster or two that I thought needed an adjustment and I would gladly help them with that. When I was a kid it was common practice to punt any rooster that advanced towards you.
Technology has made things so easy for us. We don't need to think when we can just Google anything we need.
Pork Pie Ken is right there are a lot of options and it would be wise to look into them all and make your own decisions.
I think something that a lot do wrong is that they think a rooster is something its not.
People like to think they're pets and should be looked at as a pet like a dog or cat. Others want to put human emotions into the mix. None of that is going to help. You may want him to be more than just a rooster but he's not and he doesn't want to be something he's not.
Everything a rooster does revolves around two things. Survival and reproducing.
I hear people say a bad rooster needs to be held, hugged and told how much he is loved. Really? First if a rooster is trying to flog me the last thing I'm going to do is grab him up and put him closer to my face. And telling him how special he is and how loved he is? You really think he has any concept of love or needing to know he is loved?
Learn all you can. Use commons sense. Take opinions as just that, opinions. Use what you can throw away the rest. See what fits your situation. And good luck.

bit of a different approach but i give my rooster a lot of hugs and tell him he's a good boy. he really seems to take it hard if i tell him he's bad haha. he used to crow when it was dark out but after i told him "no" he has stopped. if he really gets the devil in him and starts acting out i will hug him until he closes his eyes for a bit

bit of a different approach but i give my rooster a lot of hugs and tell him he's a good boy. he really seems to take it hard if i tell him he's bad haha. he used to crow when it was dark out but after i told him "no" he has stopped. if he really gets the devil in him and starts acting out i will hug him until he closes his eyes for a bit
I am curious - how many roosters have you raised? If you have raised more than one, has this approach worked with all of them?

I am curious - how many roosters have you raised? If you have raised more than one, has this approach worked with all of them?
And how old is this one?
Is he raised or still young?

IMG_1569.JPG

And how old is this one?
Is he raised or still young?
He's about 7 month old and i raised him since he was 2 weeks. I'd say he has a few months of growth left since his spurs are still stubby

Look at the comb on that guy, he's so handsome. :)
View attachment 1243069

He's about 7 month old and i raised him since he was 2 weeks. I'd say he has a few months of growth left since his spurs are still stubby
I agree, every rooster is different some are just mean lol! My fella isn't, he crows in my vicinity yes indeed he does! But...he crows at everything. He mates the hens in my vicinity, that's good! I'm getting new chickies out of that. He is constantly in my space, it isn't malicious he either thinks I've got food or he's wanting to show me his nest making prowess. If you didn't know the guy you'd freak out and swear you were about to get flogged the way he runs up to you but he's really just coming to say hello, and of course maybe get a treat.:)

Back
Top Bottom