Making Yourself the Alpha Rooster in a Mixed Flock

bit of a different approach but i give my rooster a lot of hugs and tell him he's a good boy. he really seems to take it hard if i tell him he's bad haha. he used to crow when it was dark out but after i told him "no" he has stopped. if he really gets the devil in him and starts acting out i will hug him until he closes his eyes for a bit

Oof. Yowza... ok. I am just taking the advice of a rooster rehabilitator and roo flock owner.

I am not shutting him up all the time; I am not allowing him to crow at me like an intruder. I also hand feed him, tell him he's a handsome boy, let him sit with me while the chickens snuggle (he was never a snuggly chick so I let him sit next to me instead because he seems to like it better). And about 95% of the time I just ignore them and go on my business.

Yikes.

bit of a different approach but i give my rooster a lot of hugs and tell him he's a good boy. he really seems to take it hard if i tell him he's bad haha. he used to crow when it was dark out but after i told him "no" he has stopped. if he really gets the devil in him and starts acting out i will hug him until he closes his eyes for a bit
I am curious - how many roosters have you raised? If you have raised more than one, has this approach worked with all of them?
And how old is this one?
Is he raised or still young?

IMG_1569.JPG

And how old is this one?
Is he raised or still young?
He's about 7 month old and i raised him since he was 2 weeks. I'd say he has a few months of growth left since his spurs are still stubby

In my opinion, a rooster should not see a person as a flock member. If he does, it causes problems because he will challenge and fight you for position within the flock. Even if you establish yourself as "alpha", it just means you're in a position that can and should be challenged because he wants to be alpha. Instead, the rooster should view you as the caretaker and feeder who is to be respected (not challenged).

A rooster should move out of my way when I walk through him. If he exhibits inappropriate behavior toward me (raised hackles, wing-dancing, side-stepping), he very well may become dinner. When I'm outside, the roosters should not really be paying much attention to me, except to see if I've brought out treats. They should go about their business as if my presence did not matter.

My roosters are free to crow and mate hens while I'm in the yard. Because I have three roosters, they correctly view the other roosters as their competition and challengers . . . not me. The other roosters are the ones they need to be concerned about, because they are competing for the hens and mating them. I think this is can be a big advantage of having more than one rooster in the flock. A young cockerel will learn about flock dynamics when raised in a multi-generation flock (with adult hens and roosters).

Back
Top Bottom