Male duck problem

claud_wc

In the Brooder
Apr 10, 2018
So i have these 5 ducks , 2 males and 3 females ... but one male is so rough that he rips out the hens upper feathers and makes her bleed and nows shes starting to limp , ive tried seperating them and other techniques , but im not sure what else to do. So if anyone could give me advice as to what to do , that would help so much , the photos below are just a small amount of what hes doing and most of the scars have already healed but im afraid he’ll do it again ...

Attachments

• 2758F718-A95F-4BFF-A87F-53DCA6E0245C.jpeg
    2758F718-A95F-4BFF-A87F-53DCA6E0245C.jpeg
    403.2 KB · Views: 32
Your ratio is a bit off. 2 males with only 3 females can certainly result in over-breeding like this. Is it always the same male? Are the BOTH always going for the "favorite" female? Do the other females look like this too? I would consider re-homing one male or keeping one separate and possibly alternating which male is with the girls.

His behavior is not going to improve and will probably escalate next spring during the breeding season. 1 drake is fully capable of fertilizing 3 females. Why not relocate the overly aggressive drake ?

"PirateGirl

Yeah its always the same male , the other male doesnt intervene nor attempt to breed with her , and its just one female that is like this the other hens were like this but he suddenly stopped going for the others , he was getting rough with us as well by biteing us but we did this technique where you pin him down for a couple seconds n he stops we did tht for a couple weeks n he eventualy stopped biteing us , but now he doing it to just one female

I dont want to rehome the aggresive drake becz im extremely close with him , all the ducks are therapy animals for me , but eventualy if i have to rehome one of the males i geus i have to ...

It's hard because it's instinctual behavior and you can't watch them 24/7 to intervene. Since you know only one is causing problems then your best bet will be to build him a bachelor pad. 1 duck doesn't require too much space, especially if you are able to let him out into a larger area sometimes. Unfortunately, I doubt you can "train" this behavior out of him, but you can give him some space where he can still see and be near the others without causing harm.

*also if you post pictures of your setup we can help you brainstorm how it can be modified if you need help.

Back
Top Bottom