Male duck pulling feathers

Jaredvheck

In the Brooder
May 1, 2016
Last week my male duck started pulling feathers just on my rode island rooster. So got more hen and now pulling feathers from them also. What should I do..will separating him for a week help anything? Any help with be very appreciative.

Last week my male duck started pulling feathers just on my rode island rooster. So got more hen and now pulling feathers from them also. What should I do..will separating him for a week help anything? Any help with be very appreciative.
@Jaredvheck I would keep him separated from your chickens especially your hens all the time. Drakes can and will breed with chickens possibly even try to mate a rooster. I don't understand the pulling out of feathers but If he gets one or more of your hens down and mates with them they can die or be severely injured ducks and chickens have a whole different anatomy can not mate with out serious injury.Does he have any ducks to live with?

Welcome to BYC

Last edited:
Yeah I do have have a female duck for him..I was thinking about getting 1 or 2 more for him..it was just out of no where he started pulling feathers..and that's all he does. I've watched him do it.

Yeah I do have have a female duck for him..I was thinking about getting 1 or 2 more for him..it was just out of no where he started pulling feathers..and that's all he does. I've watched him do it.
Maybe he needs some extra protein. Try adding some dog or cat kibble to his feed just small amount for some extra protein. Make sure it is a good quality kibble. Then give him about a week of it and see if it makes any difference. It would be good for his female for him to have a couple more girls too that would mean he can spread his affection around more.

Back
Top Bottom