S-t-o-n-e

Songster
May 10, 2019
A few months ago a family friend gave us 4 of their birds that they couldn’t care for, 3 pullets and a young guinea fowl, after some research I found out about guinea mating practices and figured out that we had a male. I realized of course that since he had been raised with chickens he would think he was a chicken and go after them so my plan was to get a female to pair with him so he could skip the whole chasing part, the only issue is that I’ve had some trouble getting a female, and additionally I didn’t realize he would start chasing hens in early January. He chased my Sumatra hen for about 30 seconds before our rooster intervened, but our rooster didn’t attack the guinea like he would another rooster because he definitely doesn’t understand what’s going on, he has put a beating on the guinea in the past when it wouldn’t go away while he was feeding the hens, but really my question is would getting a female solve the chasing issue, we can separate them in our goat house if necessary for a time to encourage them to pair and stop chasing.
Thank you in advance for your advice.

A few months ago a family friend gave us 4 of their birds that they couldn’t care for, 3 pullets and a young guinea fowl, after some research I found out about guinea mating practices and figured out that we had a male. I realized of course that since he had been raised with chickens he would think he was a chicken and go after them so my plan was to get a female to pair with him so he could skip the whole chasing part, the only issue is that I’ve had some trouble getting a female, and additionally I didn’t realize he would start chasing hens in early January. He chased my Sumatra hen for about 30 seconds before our rooster intervened, but our rooster didn’t attack the guinea like he would another rooster because he definitely doesn’t understand what’s going on, he has put a beating on the guinea in the past when it wouldn’t go away while he was feeding the hens, but really my question is would getting a female solve the chasing issue, we can separate them in our goat house if necessary for a time to encourage them to pair and stop chasing.
Thank you in advance for your advice.
The best thing you can do for that guinea is to rehome it to someone who already has a flock of guineas. Guineas are flock birds and do best in large groups.

Getting a hen guinea for it will not stop it from chasing the chickens.

Back
Top Bottom