Male or female guineas?

jluttrtally

In the Brooder
Dec 13, 2015
Georgetown texas

I'm not sure if my 2 guineas are male or female. I'm thinking male! They are both about 26 weeks old and have never produced an egg that I saw. They are free range but stay in the coop at night. I appreciate it!

[

They look like males to me, but looks can be deceiving with Guinea Fowl. Males have a harsh/grating vocalization where females make a sound like 'buckwheat buckwheat buckwheat ------------------------------------

I'm not sure if my 2 guineas are male or female. I'm thinking male! They are both about 26 weeks old and have never produced an egg that I saw. They are free range but stay in the coop at night. I appreciate it!

[

The fella up the top/right of image 1 is a boy. You can tell by how he stands tall with his wings up. And his helmet is huge for his age, mine didn't grow that big until they were about a year old. Which one is in the second image? Is it the boy with the big helmet? I'm sorry I can usually tell guineas apart but they look the same to me. Do they run around and fight? Then they are probably males. I've had a female run around and fight with the males when she was that age tho. But listen to the noise. The females buckwheat all the time, so if they're not doing that then they're males. I don't usually get any eggs until the spring after they hatch when they're about 9 months old. But if they are a male and a female, they will be mating by now. But don't let that deceive you I've had a male being mated by a male (or rather 4 or so other males). Long story short he thought he was a girl for a couple of months. I'm sorry is I'm not much help, if pic 2 is of the front one in pic 1 then they both look almost the same. My bet is they're both boys if you think so and don't see a clear difference between the two. If you had one female the two would behave very different to each other.

Here's a good example of a female guinea's call. I've heard it described as "Buck wheat, buck wheat," or "Pot rack, pot rack," or "Come back, come back." Only females have the two-syllable call like this. You can search Youtube for other examples if this one doesn't work for you.

And my females seem to yell all day. Whether they're separated, or sitting together, they go and go and go. The female two-syllable call is easy to distinguish.

Back
Top Bottom