male or female

Roosu

In the Brooder
5 Years
Oct 21, 2014
hi,

i just got 2 quails they are really cute but i am not sure if they are male or female they don't crow but the also haven't laid any eggs they are 3 months old when will they start laying?

and if they are both female can i add some other females?

1st. If they both look like that one then I think they are both female because I have a button quail that looks identical to that one and she lays eggs a few times a week but were she lays is weird, she lays not in her nesting box but in here shavings, and then buries them so just check there shavings/ whatever you are using because there may be a few eggs also my females didn't start laying until a year.
2nd. Yes you can put in more females just keep an eye on things for the first week or 2

yes they both look the same but i was a little confused because they both have something that looks like a white ''bib'' so i though maybe they are males
i just cleaned there cage and i didn't find any eggs i geuss i just have to be patient.

if i add some more hens do i have to introduce them in a cage or something i am afraid that they will hurt each other
but i geuss it will take a while to get some other hens they are hard to get i just saw some at a pet shop but they were 25 dollar each i think that is expensive and they didn't even know if they were male or female

No that isn't a bib. You'll know the white bib when you see it. Most likely they are both females but that isn't a guarantee. I don't know about keeping a bunch of button hens together but you can try. Buttons are pretty aggressive and territorial so I'd be careful introducing new birds.

When a button has a white bib it's really obvious.

oh i see i thought that is they have a litte white it was also a ''bib'' but i was wrong thanks for the picture!

hey guys just a update
a while ago i bought 2 other button quails and they are doing fine they are now in the main hutch there wasn't any fighting they accepted each other immediately!
now i got 4 little button quails sleeping together so cute!

thanks for the infromation guys it really helped!

Back
Top Bottom