Male or female?

snanna

Chirping
Mar 28, 2014
St. Louis, MO USA

I am trying to figure out if my one year old Musovy is male or female (white one Front left). Thoughts?

No eggs-that's why I am wondering. I've always thought she was a female, but since she isn't laying I was questioning it. She takes care of my welsh harlequins and is very motherly-I'm very confused! :)

No eggs-that's why I am wondering. I've always thought she was a female, but since she isn't laying I was questioning it. She takes care of my welsh harlequins and is very motherly-I'm very confused!
smile.png
The other ducks have been laying already this spring? If she was a drake she would be mating with your welsh harlequins. Muscovy's are seasonal layers which means they lay spring through fall and then quit for the year. They also mature slower saying that mine usually start laying at around 9 months old do your drakes mate with her?

Ms Lydia:

You have been so helpful in the past and I'm hoping you can help me now. My female Welsh Harlequin is going through molting, (I believe) She looks absolutely pitiful, thin, without many feathers, and lethargic. I don't know if this is normal for a one year old or not. The male that I have keeps trying to "show his love", and I feel bad for her. I currently have her, to other females, two males, and one female Muscovey that is also molting,but she looks much better. The other females are younger, and not going through it. She is also not laid eggs for almost 2 months when this all started. Any help you can offer would be appreciated! Thank you!but she looks much better. The other females are younger, and not going through it. She is also not laid eggs for almost 2 months when this all started. Any help you can offer would be appreciated! I have attached a photo that I hope you can see. Thank you!

@snanna , you need to separate that female duck. She is not just molting. She is injured from the mating, she may have egg yolk peritonitis - an internal infection, she needs some TLC.

A visit to a good duck vet would be ideal, and I know it is not always possible.

She may just be run down and beaten up. Her life depends on you. Please protect her.

What I would do -

get her into "sick bay," a comfortable separate area, safe, thick, clean bedding, fresh water and food.
put poultry vitamins in her water twice a week
Let her swim in a lukewarm tub once a day for half an hour or more
Give her treats - anything she really likes - thawed frozen peas, mealworms, dry cat kibble (perhaps moistened if she prefers it softer) - get not only calories into her but vitamins and protein
Look into an antibiotic regimen for her if it becomes apparent she has an infection - you may want to take a stool sample to a vet and have them check for infection, parasites, blood in the stool and use that to decide what to do.

She needs help right away.

@Miss Lydia

Ms Lydia:

You have been so helpful in the past and I'm hoping you can help me now. My female Welsh Harlequin is going through molting, (I believe) She looks absolutely pitiful, thin, without many feathers, and lethargic. I don't know if this is normal for a one year old or not. The male that I have keeps trying to "show his love", and I feel bad for her. I currently have her, to other females, two males, and one female Muscovey that is also molting,but she looks much better. The other females are younger, and not going through it. She is also not laid eggs for almost 2 months when this all started. Any help you can offer would be appreciated! Thank you!but she looks much better. The other females are younger, and not going through it. She is also not laid eggs for almost 2 months when this all started. Any help you can offer would be appreciated! I have attached a photo that I hope you can see. Thank you!

@snanna which one looks alot better your WH you were just talking about or another?

When they go through molt they don't lay they do look pitiful too but if I was you I'd get some good poultry vitamins and start them all on some I like Poultry Nutri drench, being thin is worrisome, so 2 months before she went into molt she wasn't laying? are the drakes over mating her drakes can and cause stress and egg laying will suffer for it. Maybe the drakes and females need to be separated for a while to give her some time to rest and get her health back. If you feel something else maybe going on then maybe you should look into getting her to a vet. I know it's not always something we can do.

The pic didn't come through

Last edited:
Thank you so much! I will do what you said! I know it's "just a duck" as some people would say, but she is my duck- and my baby!:). I always appreciate your quick response and will keep you posted!

Thank you so much! I will do what you said! I know it's "just a duck" as some people would say, but she is my duck- and my baby!
smile.png
. I always appreciate your quick response and will keep you posted!
Yes they are just ducks but still a living being and if we can help and protect them then that is what we should do. Let us know how she is doing.

Love your avatar.

Those drakes are just being drakes but they don't realize the wear and tear they can cause on the females especially if a drake has a favorite. One reason we always encourage members to keep their duck to drake ratio at a good level. but still one female out of them all can get used and abused. Hope she turns around quick with some extra TLC
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom