Male Pekin attacking chickens!?! :-(

Andora

Songster
11 Years
Aug 26, 2008
Lexington, Kentucky
My male Pekin has just started doing this thing where he will chase the chickens with his head bent low and his beak open. He will chase them all over the yard until he corners them and rips out their feathers while they scream. I think if he gets one completely trapped he will kill it!

I've had him for about 3 months now (he's 12 months old) and he has never been aggressive toward the chickens until this past week. The only change I can think of is that his girlfriend duck is about 4 months old and getting very close to point of lay. (I think? I've seen them mating.)

I don't know what to do! My two ducks sleep in a coop with some of the chickens--the chickens roost and the ducks sleep on the floor. They also share a big open pen, and when I let the ducks in the yard outside of the pen my male duck still attacks the few random chickens pecking around the yard.

Help! Is there anything I can do to stop him? I can't afford to build a duck coop right now, and I have no space for a separate duck pen. We're getting ready to move, as soon as we find a house we like, and I will not settle for anything less than an acre. But I don't know how soon we will move...could be several months.

Get him some more ladies
tongue.png

I have been having the same problem with mine. My drake has only 2 ladies and I think he needs more. He killed one of my golden laced cochins a couple days ago. He drowned her in the kiddie pool probably trying to mate her. He chases my standard hens, but at least they have some size to them. I have had him separated for the past couple days only to come out to mate with his 2 ladies. I am getting 3 more females soon and if that doesn't work, castration is in his future or the BBQ..
hmm.png

Last edited:
I have the same problem. I have since purchased 7 females for them. I will unite them in a few weeks to see how that goes. He has the same behavior and will not stop. He is a menace to society, so he was arrested and charged with aggravated battery. He and his partner are now in solitary confinement. Their court date is in a couple of weeks. The jury said that they will show no mercy. A rehabiliation plan is on the table. They were reported a few other times but with no hard evidence, so the judge had to throw it out of court. This time, there were witnesses. The summons to appear in court have been mailed. May the courts have mercy on their souls.

Hey, we are still waiting for "Rex's" court date. Hope they go easy on yours. My Pekin gets "time outs" (as the children say) I think I actually hear all the other birds cheer when he is locked up.
lau.gif

I have some females on their way for him too, but they will be babies, so we still have a while for time outs etc. Good Luck!

that post about court was funny:lau we just got rid of 2 drakes cause we had no hens and they were esape artist and they killed 4 injured 2 so we gave them to some one in the country who had a lot of room and could get several hens my 9 yr old would like more ducks we will have to find adrake and couple hens insted of 2 drakes then maybe we will be ok:weee

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom