Male Pheasant Behavior

sweetshoplady

Songster
11 Years
Feb 4, 2008
Venice, Florida
I got a new lady pheasant to add to the breeding pair that I have. She's in quarantine. But I put her in sight of the other pheasants so she'd hopefully feel more comfortable. Zorro saw her and started that humming noise to her. Then, he dropped his "wattles" I didn't know he had them, and walked along the side of his pen toward her. He kind of looked like he was strutting. He held his tail up, and I'm nor sure if he dropped his wing or not like a roo does. All the while, making that humming sound.

Was Zorro saying, "Yo, Baby! Do you work out? Why don't you come over here? I know where some good stuff is! (Wolf Whistle) What nice red legs you have! Woo!"

OR, Was Zorro saying, "Who the dickens are you? Where did you come from? Why are you here? I don't like you."

The hen with him, Lady O., just went over and kind of peered at the new lady and went about her business.

i havent had troule with red-ladys-yellow putting a new hen in but when it comes to silver that is a different i have a hard time with them so i dont put new in with the silvers

When introducing new birds to your flock you should put all birds into a new pen.The birds that are in the pen now have dominated that pen and will fight even kill new birds that come into their domain.Sometimes they will even kill new birds if they are smaller then themselves.
In N.H.,Tony.

Unfortunately, I lost that sweet new lady. She was so frightened that she'd hiss and peck at me when I would put the food in with her. I pulled my hand back and she flew out the small opening. Sadly, we were in the garage with the garage door open and out she flew up into a tree.
hit.gif
I only had her for about 36 hours.

Zorro kept looking for her to be in that cage.

Back
Top Bottom