"Male specific" coloring in EE/OE?

Shugercube

Songster
Apr 17, 2022
Shenandoah Valley, Virginia
Talk to me about the whole "male specific coloring" thing... I ordered 7 pullets, they sent 8, and I think 3 of them might be cockerels. One is an EE that just has a huge comb already- it's pale, but just so BIG for only being 4 weeks old.

Not my main question, but since I'm here anyway- here's a comb pic of Winter, the EE
5E61B2C9-FCCA-4160-8FF6-1BF2F9AD204E.jpeg

The other two I'm worried have the "male specific" rust leakage I keep hearing about. I don't really understand the difference between "male" leakage and just the bird having red on it. 🤷🏼‍♀️ Is this the "male" coloring?

Their combs are also a bit pink for my comfort, but would like to hear others' opinions. I'm not sure if/what the hatchery will do if it does turn out I have 3 cockerels, or how long I have before I even need to notify them of the incorrect sex of my birds.

Pics of the two "rusty" ones, would like opinions please! They are 4 weeks old.

Bird 1, Olive the OE
3E63CE76-132E-4542-B81E-8A1BBBCBE5BB.jpeg
267965EA-F1D2-4986-84EA-43D3FF0A9369.jpeg

Bird 2, Chirp the EE
EEA84A27-11D2-4233-B4C3-773364E04D4D.jpeg
7F246156-4D9A-4F21-A96B-993CB5AFE9D0.jpeg

The "male specific coloring" is pretty much just splotchy, uneven coloring. The rust color will come out in splotches, and isn't evened out. For pullets, they usually have evened out coloring compared to cockerels. Hope that makes sense!

Both the OE and the EE are cockerels.

The "male specific coloring" is pretty much just splotchy, uneven coloring. The rust color will come out in splotches, and isn't evened out. For pullets, they usually have evened out coloring compared to cockerels. Hope that makes sense!

Both the OE and the EE are cockerels.
I agree with Tookie on this one, very well stated.
I've notice with all of our EE's, every Pullet has a "uniformed" pattern, for example "plaid" feathering, or things like that of course there are so many varieties and color patterns, but anything "splotchy" is code for Cockerel in my honest opinion.
Thank you both!
This one, too?? Also an EE 🥴😭
5382280A-AA1B-43F3-A046-2A654075D021.jpeg

I agree with Tookie on this one, very well stated.
I've notice with all of our EE's, every Pullet has a "uniformed" pattern, for example "plaid" feathering, or things like that of course there are so many varieties and color patterns, but anything "splotchy" is code for Cockerel in my honest opinion.
This was a revelation to me when I read it. Recently raised a batch of crossbreds and this held true. Solid colored birds went both ways but the splotchy/very color mixed were alllllll boys. I just never noticed!!!

Back
Top Bottom