Males? Females? one of both?

FeatherMommy

Chirping
9 Years
May 7, 2010
Oklahoma
Both of these are starting to get spurs but I have heard that Polish hens can have spurs to so I am not quite sure.

Sylar which I think is a female-Golden Polish
SAM_1764.jpg

And Navi which i think is a male- White Crested Black Polish
SAM_1756.jpg

What do you think?

I am not sure whether they are male or female but I am almost willing to bet that they are both the same. So either both male or both female. I really don't think it is one of each.

At that age, there shouldn't be much in the way of spurs. Both male and female chicks will have little nubs where spurs would grow. But my polish hens do have small spurs, so that's not really a great way to tell.

With the little red wattles on the white-crested black, I'd guess it's a cockerel. I don't see any of that going on with the golden-laced one. So it COULD be one of each. It's hard to tell.

2nd one is definitely a rooster because of the crest...Roosters have a pointy crest while hen have a more rounded crest. So the 1st one is hard to tell because the crest looks like it is starting to grow back like a hen's would, but it also looks like it's sticking up straight like a rooster's would.
idunno.gif
But if I had to guess, I would say both are roosters, unless the first one's feathers start growing back rather than pointy and fanned out like the 2nd one.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom