Males or females and what breeds

coopersmom

Hatching
8 Years
Dec 3, 2011
Can anyone tell me if these are boys or girls. I think the white/yellow and the grey/white are females and the black one is a male. Also can anyone tell me what breeds these might be. I was trying to post pictures but it won't let me. What is a good way to tell if you have boys or girls. I am new to chickens so I really don't know. Thanks You can go to my page to see the chickens.

Last edited:
Cooper's mom. Welcome.

You have to have at least 10 posts before it will let you post pics.

So glad you found us here at BYC.

Post away, ask some questions and then come back and edit your thread and add the pics.

What age are they? Telling male from female depends a lot on age. Lots of new people post to photobucket or Google Pictures (Picasa) so they can link to it.

Edited to add...
welcome-byc.gif

Last edited:
Hello, welcome to BYC

The black one looks like an australorp roo. I don't know about the other two.

Nice looking birds, though.

Topknot 19

The white one has an awfully developed and red comb for 11 weeks. I think that one is a roo too.

The black one may be either australorp (pink bottoms of feet) or Jersey giant (yellow bottoms of feet) - can't tell because the legs aren't in the picture. Boy also.

The middle grey one is beautiful! And I think most likely a girl. Looks like a wyandotte cross.

I think that the gray is an EE pullet. The black is not an australorp - rose comb rules that out. Black and white look like possibly wyandottes or wyandotte crosses. If indeed they are only 11 weeks old, I'm leaning towards cockerels.
welcome-byc.gif

They all look like crosses to me. The white and black one look like cockerels if they are only 11 weeks. The other looks like a pullet. The pullet looks like a Easter Egger cross. (EEs are crosses themselves, I just mean further crossed.) Wyandottes are a common bird kept, so it is possible that the white and black have some type of Wyandotte parentage. This is not to say that it is the only breed with a rose comb, or that you can't cross to get a rose comb. As for the Black chicken, Black Australorp and Jersey Black Giant are also a fairly popular breed and could have that in its parentage. I think that the white and black one are barnyard mixes and their parents might be pure or are mixes themselves.
duc.gif

White --mix
Pullet--EE mix
Black --Mix

Back
Top Bottom