Malformed vent on chick?

WishboneDawn

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jun 19, 2011
Nova Scotia, Canada
I'm new to the forum and new to raising chicks. Long story short I have 25 Cornish X chicks that re about a week old and all but one are doing well. The one that's not is currently separated because of a small open wound on his back. I think he may have got it from the others who might have pecked at him because of a build up of poop on his back.

I thought at first the buildup was from other chicks but I was cleaning him and he did his business and it squirted up onto his back. The hole it came from is tiny and on his lower back almost at the tail. Any picture I can find on chicken anatomy would place the vent more on the underside of the chick and from the descriptions I'm reading of vents the vent should look like something more then simply a tiny open sore.

Other then the constant dirt the little guy is doing fine. He's eating and drinking and seems to have lots of energy. He IS now smaller then the others.

It just ocurred to me he may still have a vent underneath assuming I'm right about where the vent should be?

On the bright side I'm learning a LOT about chicks in just the first week.
smile.png

okay, I did the obvious thing and checked my healthy chickens to see hat their vents looked like. Duh. The little one has nothing like that.

Here's a shot of him so you get the general idea of where the wound is in relation to his body.
101_1002.jpg

Here's a shot of his back side.
101_1010.jpg

You can just see near the bottom where there's a darker crease and I think that's where the poop is coming from. It's about where the vents are on the normal chicks. I couldn't even see the opening while I was holding him and he's got nothing else at all that looks like a vent.
sad.png

Last edited:
Wait, I'm confused. The crease toward the bottom of the picture is where the poop is coming from? And then there is a soar that is red with white toward the middle of the picture? I'm asking about the second picture.

Back
Top Bottom