Mallard Duck May Be Sick

juniverse

Songster
10 Years
Nov 3, 2013
Hi guys,

I live in an apartment complex with a lot of wild mallard ducks.

There is one we watch after who seems to have diarrhea. She is pooping quite a bit. One of the tenants feeds her left over scraps of food and does not know how to properly feed them. (We may report that tenant).

In the mean time is there something that we can give her to help clean her system?

She does come up to a clean water dish everyday when she visits so we can put items in there for her to consume.

Thanks for any advice or help! ~<3

A vitamin probiotic mix would be good. And you could put some food grade activated charcoal supplement - about three capsules in a quart of water (it absorbs toxins). I would do either or - not put both in the water at the same time as the charcoal would likely bind to some of the nutrients.

Sprouted wheat berries are good, moistened rolled oats - unflavored.

Now, she may have a heavy parasite load. You could be brave and take a fecal sample to a vet and see what they can see. If it's parasites, you may be able to give her some medicated feed - but I am just thinking out loud here, don't have experience with it.

Thanks so much! Where can I get those items though? I know that they sell activated charcoal at the garden store but is that the same as food activated charcoal?

Edit
Just looked up they capsules at walgreens and cvs pharmacy for people. Can ducks have this as well?

Last edited:
Thanks so much! Where can I get those items though? I know that they sell activated charcoal at the garden store but is that the same as food activated charcoal?

Edit
Just looked up they capsules at walgreens and cvs pharmacy for people. Can ducks have this as well?

Yes that is what I have given mine.

Back
Top Bottom