MALLARD DUCKLINGS QUESTION

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by BackyardAnita, Aug 9, 2013.

1. Yes

2 vote(s)
    66.7%
  2. No

1 vote(s)
    33.3%
  1. BackyardAnita

BackyardAnita Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2012
    My broody duck is sitting on 5 fertile eggs and they're going to hatch in a week or two.
    I was wondering how the mother takes care of the Ducklings after they're born and if the drake plays any role in the ducklings lives, for instance; protecting the nest or something.
    I'm not sure if I should separate the mother and the ducklings from the rest of the flock, separate the ducklings and take care of them in a box, or leave them be.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2013
  2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    In my experience most drakes do not bother the ducklings if they have enough space. I did have one Muscovy drake who was a duckling killer. He only got the opportunity once. Let the hen raise the ducklings - they know what to do.

3. BackyardAnita

BackyardAnita Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2012
    Should i separate the hen and ducklings from the flock?

4. lizp

lizp Out Of The Brooder

Jun 24, 2013
    Lees summit Missouri
    My duck had her first eggs this past weekend. So far she's been laying 2 eggs a day the last three days. Is that normal??!

5. Jryxx

Jryxx Out Of The Brooder

Jun 7, 2013
    Central Ohio
    From my experience its not unheard of. As long as she's eating well and her spirits seem normal, and physical health is fine, I wouldn't worry! May want to check with someone who has a lot of experience though.

6. desertdarlene

desertdarlene Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2010
    San Diego
    In the wild, the drake's job is to protect his favorite hen(s), but he has no role in caring for the ducklings, though I have seen the odd drake show concern for one once in a while. It would be good to separate mom and ducklings from the flock if you don't have a lot of space, in my opinion. Mom and ducklings don't stay in one place and will want to wander around a bit.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by