Mallard hens are nesting!!!! What to do?!

eventmerlin

In the Brooder
10 Years
Nov 25, 2009
Massachusetts
So my 3 mallard hens have laid eggs and LOTS OF THEM! I think two hens are sharing a nest of 15 eggs. Is this usual? sharing duties?

Then my 3rd hen, Gump (she has one leg), has a nest of her own.... not sure how many eggs.

I have never had mallards before or ducks for that matter. How often is it ok for the hens to be off thier nests to eat? They are usually off for at least 15 min at a time. Also what percentage of eggs usually is viable and hatch out? Will I have 25 baby ducklings in a few weeks?

Also how long is the incubation time for mallards?
Will the hens keep the ducklings around and come back to the pen like they do to eat?

I am very worried about thier nests because they are outside the pen and near the stream and not protected from predators....Squeak the drake has been busy being on watch thats for sure!

Haha Bleenie,

Its ok... when I got her as a duckling her leg was broken at he "hock"? not sure what to call it, and the vet tried to fix it but the splint didn't work. So now one leg is bent at a 90 degree angle and she has one working leg. She just flies around to move.....and swims in the stream.

Ok so went outside and found ANOTHER NEST! There are 3 nests and about 15 eggs in each nest!!! But 2 of the hens are not on the nests???
sad.png
They had covered them a bit with leaves....Gump is sitting dilligently on her nest though....

Back
Top Bottom