Mallard issue

You would be better off finding a breeder instead of going through a hatchery. You will get better quality and you know what you are getting. Beside 99.9% of people at feed store don't know any thing about any of the birds or regulations. The reason I brought up the Permit is because where I am the state requires me to have a permit for captive breed wild birds. I have some sites of breeders that you can get rouens through. I will find them and PM them to you.
I agree with using private breeders for any and all birds 100%.

I am not looking for rouens, thx for the offer. I only keep wildfowl. I am intimately familiar with Federal law as well as the laws of my state as they pertain to domesticated wildfowl. I have all of my required permits.

I was commenting on the fact that retailers such as TSC oftentimes have no idea what they are selling...they have it narrowed down to "brown ducks, and white ducks". A few years ago I made the mistake of purchasing 2 "mallards" from TSC. I told the floor person the birds looked like rouens. They insisted the birds were mallards. My daughter talked me into it. Two weeks later it was obvious they were rouens...they were about 3 pounds and still downy, I gave them to a friend. Lesson learned.

I agree with using private breeders for any and all birds 100%.

I am not looking for rouens, thx for the offer. I only keep wildfowl. I am intimately familiar with Federal law as well as the laws of my state as they pertain to domesticated wildfowl. I have all of my required permits.

I was commenting on the fact that retailers such as TSC oftentimes have no idea what they are selling...they have it narrowed down to "brown ducks, and white ducks". A few years ago I made the mistake of purchasing 2 "mallards" from TSC. I told the floor person the birds looked like rouens. They insisted the birds were mallards. My daughter talked me into it. Two weeks later it was obvious they were rouens...they were about 3 pounds and still downy, I gave them to a friend. Lesson learned.

A couple of years back I had bought some turkeys from a feed store. I was told they were standard bronze. Instead they were western wild.
I ended up getting fined and had the birds taken by a wildlife officer that lived down the street. I had no idea what I had. After that I never bought from a store again. They didn't know or even care about what they sold. It is bad when you can't even trust your local feed stores not to screw you over, it all about the money. If they would educate themselves and be honest the money they would make would probably double. Well needless to say that feed store went out of business after couple of seasons. It was funny to watch the decline in business after others had similar problems with them. People didn't even want their feed and they sold good feed at good prices.

COPIED AND PASTED FROM 50 CFR 21.13:
Is this a UK law or USA or both?

§ 21.13 Permit exceptions for captive-reared mallard

ducks.

Captive-reared and properly marked mallard

ducks, alive or dead, or their eggs may be acquired,

possessed, sold, traded, donated, transported, and

disposed of by any person without a permit, subject to the following conditions, restriction s, and requirements:

(a) Nothing in this section shall be construed to

permit the taking of live mallard ducks or their eggs from

the wild.

(b) All mallard duck s possess ed in captivity,

without a permit, shall have been physically marked by at

least one of the following methods prior to 6 weeks of age

and all such ducks hatched, reared, and retain ed in captivity

thereafter shall be so marked prior to reaching 6 weeks of

age.

(1) Removal of the hind toe fro m the rig ht foot.

(2) Pinioning of a wing : Provided, That this

method shall be the removal of the metacarpal bones of one

wing or a portion of the metacarpal bones which renders the

bird permanently in capable of flight.

(3) Banding of one metatarsus with a seamless

metal band.

(4) Tattooing of a readily discernible number or

letter or combination thereof on the web of one foot.

(c) When so marked, such live birds may be

disposed of to, or acquired from, any person and possessed

and transferred in any number at any time or place:

Provided, That all such birds sh all be physically marked

prior to sale or disposal regardless of whether or not they

have attain ed 6 weeks of age.

SINCE YOU STATED YOU ACQUIRED THE MALLARDS LEGALLY IN THE FIRST PLACE, NOT TO MENTION THEY MAY BE LESS THAN 6 WEEKS OLD, CLIP THE RIGHT HIND TOE OF EACH BIRD AND YOU WILL BE IN COMPLIANCE. (I AM IN NO WAY SUGGESTING ANY ILLEGAL ACTIVITY.)

THE LIKELIHOOD OF REACHING SOMEONE AT TSC WHO IS KNOWLEDGABLE IN REGARDS TO MBTA ISSUES IS SLIM TO NONE.

My local feed store buys birds from locals, but they will not buy Mallards because most are ones that people found in the wild.

-Kathy

Back
Top Bottom