Mallard or Rouen ducklings?

villein

Hatching
5 Years
Oct 23, 2014
North Carolina
Hi all,

I'm new to ducks (and to BYC), but I've found a lot of great information on here! I was told by TSC that these 2 were mallards, but they seem to have the double stripe. Can anyone tell if this is a two-striped rouen or a single-striped mallard?

Welcome to BYC yours look very similar but I don't think I've ever heard of TSC having Rouens
Rouen ducklings
thumb_large_popup_2111.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks! Yes, that's why I was wondering. Is there a size difference between the two as ducklings? They seem big, and one is bigger than the other, even though they are supposedly the same age. They were unable to give me a hatch date.

Thanks! Yes, that's why I was wondering. Is there a size difference between the two as ducklings? They seem big, and one is bigger than the other, even though they are supposedly the same age. They were unable to give me a hatch date.
I've never seen a Rouen duckling in person to say yes or no but I have seen mallard ducklings and they are tiny hopefully someone else can give you the answer, but your ducklings are adorable. I'd think a Rouen duckling would out grow a Mallard duckling pretty quick though since there is a big difference in size when adult.
would like to sahre this with you to, has alot of good info about caring for duckling. https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/750869/raising-and-caring-for-ducklings#post_10611711

Last edited:
Thanks! Here's a picture of them with a red pen (this is not where they live), and they are almost 3 weeks as best I can tell. TSC said they received them on Wed, Feb 11.

So, I'm in Texas, and have 3 ducklings (now one week old) from the TSC near me that appear identical to yours...and no, the kid selling them couldn't say which breed...so, I'm wondering if you've figured out yet whether yours are mallards or Rouens? I'll be happy either way, but we'll have to allow for more chance of flying if the're most likely mallards. Have you decided yet which yours are? Thanks, and I hope you're enjoying them!

So, I'm in Texas, and have 3 ducklings (now one week old) from the TSC near me that appear identical to yours...and no, the kid selling them couldn't say which breed...so, I'm wondering if you've figured out yet whether yours are mallards or Rouens? I'll be happy either way, but we'll have to allow for more chance of flying if the're most likely mallards. Have you decided yet which yours are? Thanks, and I hope you're enjoying them!
The TSCs in my area of Texas seem to almost always only carry mallards. Do you have any photos of your ducklings?

I'm almost certain they are Rouen. At 6 weeks they are already bigger than mallards. Buff Goose Guy, above, gave a helpful reply. It was true that at about 4 weeks they just grew and grew, and they seem like they are still growing. I wrote TSC to find out if their mallards were marked in some way (some hatcheries remove one back toe, etc.) and if they sell Rouen. She said, yes, they could definitely be Rouen, (or mallard, Swedish, Pekin, or Khaki). She also said she couldn't find anything about marked mallards.

Hope that helps! Would love to see a pic!

Thanks, y'all--the TSC here had a placard by the ducklings that said just what you were told, ie, ducks could be any of those five breeds. Either way, the little fuzzballs are growing fast!

Back
Top Bottom