Mallard or Rouen?

The one on the right looks like a Rouen while the one on the left looks more mallard-ish in the second picture. Hope that helps. I've also heard something about white on the edges of the tail feathers can tell the two apart.

Last edited:
I was trying to find some help in sexing two rescues that I have and I ran across this website: http://www.npwrc.usgs.gov/resource/birds/duckplum/mallard.htm
It will help you identify the ducks you have. You also need to keep in mind that male ducks of any wild species will be brightly colored during mating season. When they molt they lose that color and turn a drab color, and look much like the female of the species. So even though the two are different sizes, you can still have mallards, only the plumage is not as brightly colored in the males, especially when they are young like this. I hope this has helped.

The website I posted has pictures of the feathers of each sex, and maturity that you will need in order to determine the breed. Also, if you dig a little bit, the website also has lots of other species of waterfowl listed. They still look like Mallard to me. But that's just my opinion.

Very pretty! Your new babies look much like my girls! Mine are mallard hens. They have that thick blue/violet plumage as well. Mine do not have the second dark line on the face though, as the larger of your two ducks has...though that may just be shadowing of the face in the pictures... I am new to ducks, so I do not know what breed is what... Of course, I have heard that mallards are quite promiscuous, so perhaps you have a little hybrid! That could be neat!

Nevertheless, your new ducks are quite lovely! They look plump and healthy, and as happy as can be!
smile.png

Last edited:
The website I posted has pictures of the feathers of each sex, and maturity that you will need in order to determine the breed. Also, if you dig a little bit, the website also has lots of other species of waterfowl listed. They still look like Mallard to me. But that's just my opinion.
Very interesting and informative site, thanks for sharing!
I didn't see any description of Rouens though, and as far as I can tell through my research, their coloring is almost identical to a Mallard at all stages, their body size and shape is the difference.

Rouens aren't listed because they are not a "wild" waterfowl. They are generally a farmed bird for meat...thus why they do not fly like a mallard. They are a heavier bird usually produced for meat.

Very pretty! Your new babies look much like my girls! Mine are mallard hens. They have that thick blue/violet plumage as well. Mine do not have the second dark line on the face though, as the larger of your two ducks has...though that may just be shadowing of the face in the pictures... I am new to ducks, so I do not know what breed is what... Of course, I have heard that mallards are quite promiscuous, so perhaps you have a little hybrid! That could be neat!

Nevertheless, your new ducks are quite lovely! They look plump and healthy, and as happy as can be!
smile.png
It turns out mine are both males. :) See how both of their bellies are turning gray in the pic below? You can already see some green on Rocky's head too (the one on the left).

I wouldn't be surprised if Bullwinkle (couldn't call him Ruby Sue anymore, lol) is a hybrid; that would explain why he's so much bigger than a Mallard but not quite as big (I don't think anyway) as a Rouen. They are happy ducks now though, they love being outside so much (even if it does wear on Mama's nerves worrying about them!).

If these babies were "rescued" from the "wild" then the chances of them being Rouens are nil to none. About the only way that a Rouen would be out in the wild is if he escaped from a farm. They are not flyers, so if one did escape a farm, the chances of surviving in the wild are very little. Don't get me wrong, they can fly a little bit, but they were bred to become a heavy bird produced for meat so they can't go much distance at all. Plus, the Mallard drakes look like the hens in the "off" mating periods. Unless these babies came from a store, they are most likely Mallard.

on really looks like a mallard. but if they were wild resuces and found living in the wild it would certianly not be one unless like the other person said it escaped from a farm. maybe its just a big gril ;)

Back
Top Bottom