Mallard questions

TX Duck Mom

Chirping
Mar 20, 2021
Two questions: adopted two (now) 7-mo-old female mallards and one khaki Campbell late summer. The khaki has laid but the mallards have not. Wondering if this is normal—if domestic mallards are seasonal layers like wild ones?
Also, a previous duck I purchased looked to be a cross between KC and mallard. She was laying regularly with my other two khakis. After acquiring the mallards, which are much less timid, the cross has started looking more like a mallard. She has even started to develop speculum feathers where she had none.
Anyone had experience with this?

Two questions: adopted two (now) 7-mo-old female mallards and one khaki Campbell late summer. The khaki has laid but the mallards have not. Wondering if this is normal—if domestic mallards are seasonal layers like wild ones?
Also, a previous duck I purchased looked to be a cross between KC and mallard. She was laying regularly with my other two khakis. After acquiring the mallards, which are much less timid, the cross has started looking more like a mallard. She has even started to develop speculum feathers where she had none.
Anyone had experience with this?
I have two Mallard ducks that I got from Metzer and they were both three days old when I got them. It is cold off and on here in Ohio and one still lays daily. She quit for a few weeks while she was molting but is laying daily again. I figure she will quit laying in January and then start back up in March so I have water glassed eggs so I can have them over the winter. I also have a Muscovy or Khaki Campbell duck that is laying daily. I am not sure which duck is giving me my white eggs daily. I guess it all depends on the duck itself.

I have two Mallard ducks that I got from Metzer and they were both three days old when I got them. It is cold off and on here in Ohio and one still lays daily. She quit for a few weeks while she was molting but is laying daily again. I figure she will quit laying in January and then start back up in March so I have water glassed eggs so I can have them over the winter. I also have a Muscovy or Khaki Campbell duck that is laying daily. I am not sure which duck is giving me my white eggs daily. I guess it all depends on the duck itself.
My ducks are two years old now by the way.

My Mallard duck that was laying laid up until the beginning of February. The last few days I have gotten no eggs. I was surprised that she laid that long but it has been an exceptionally mild winter here in Ohio where I am.

Back
Top Bottom