mallard questions

Can 2 male wild mallards that have become tame (stay only in our yard) be combined with domestic mallards if I purchase female chicks and raise until it's time to put them out.

If they were once wild there is always a chance, that they could fly away without clipping there wings, i think they would stay if they dont leave and stay in your yard.

Introducing females to them would be good ,but theres that risk that your females could fly away with them if they ever do decide to leave.

Last year we got 3 ducks from feed store. Turned out 1 female and 2 male. One of the males lost his drake feather and took on the colors of a female. Well, he is back to male colors and has his drake feather...........question is, I have noticed him and the female mating so will he be able to fertilize the eggs since he has identity issues?
roll.png

#1 all he did was go through molting stage where all of them look the same, males and females all of the look the same sorta.

and probably not eggs right now it's just courting season where they mate for the emotional bond and the significance of being a pair for the breeding season, and not the passing of genes right now.

Can 2 male wild mallards that have become tame (stay only in our yard) be combined with domestic mallards if I purchase female chicks and raise until it's time to put them out.
Possibly but later down the line you could run into legal and disease issues with this set up.

Back
Top Bottom