MALLARD THREAD...not rouens, Mallards!

Has anyone had a problem with a drake attacking the ducklings? I had 7 ducklings all hatched by a broody Mallard hen that were about a week old. One of them was dead in the duck tank this morning. I have it so that it stays full to the top so the little ones don't get trapped in there.

I have been seeing the drake peck at them when I am out there with them. Tonight he got pretty vicious and he was running the ducklings down and pecked them really hard quite a few times before I put him in the penalty box for the duration. He is in a 4X8 grow out pen until I decide the little ones are safe. Does anyone have any advice?

Has anyone had a problem with a drake attacking the ducklings? I had 7 ducklings all hatched by a broody Mallard hen that were about a week old. One of them was dead in the duck tank this morning. I have it so that it stays full to the top so the little ones don't get trapped in there.

I have been seeing the drake peck at them when I am out there with them. Tonight he got pretty vicious and he was running the ducklings down and pecked them really hard quite a few times before I put him in the penalty box for the duration. He is in a 4X8 grow out pen until I decide the little ones are safe. Does anyone have any advice?

Drakes can and will kill ducklings. You'll want to keep them separated until they're around the same size that he is.

Good luck with silas @Duck4Christ

[/quote]

Thank you for all the help! Silas is finally quaking! He and I can possibly say he with confidence has a deep raspy quack. My kids call it his full grown man quack! It's very similar to the majestic foul recording of a male duck http://www.majesticwaterfowl.org/artquacks.htm. Thanks again for your time and help.

I finally figured it out some pictures of Silas from my phone so here you go.

Would like to think that you guys will enjoy them.

Back
Top Bottom