MALLARD THREAD...not rouens, Mallards!

So I have 5 marllards. About 3 months old. They all look the same. Lol I read on line that the male's won't start showing there colors until 6 months... An I can't fins any pictures of 3 month olds. Any help on figuring out who's, whos?
1f600.png

So I have 5 marllards. About 3 months old. They all look the same. Lol I read on line that the male's won't start showing there colors until 6 months... An I can't fins any pictures of 3 month olds. Any help on figuring out who's, whos?
1f600.png

You can sex them by voice... females will quack fully very loud, males have a much quieter raspy quack...

http://www.majesticwaterfowl.org/artquacks.htm

1f600.png

Drakes will molt into their breeding plumage around 14 to 16 weeks old.
Here is my drake when he was 15 weeks old.

Last edited:
I have a picture of a possible dad.. Gonna get on the computer to upload!

Edit:

Crackers, Waddles & Tubby are so sweet! Are they getting feathers yet?

Sorry. I never did reply to this. They were getting their feathers, just starting, at the time this was posted. I lost my dark one. :( I had to go to the ER one night and forgot all about putting them up before I left. By the time I got home, the dark one was gone, the pen door open, and the two lighter brown ones were huddled up by the pool. I was so mad at myself - and I avoided the duck threads for a while. I'm still really mad.

The possible dad is beautiful. :)

So, I have the two lighter ones now. I'm wondering what yours look like now.

One on mine I am quiet positive is a female. Waddles,, she quacks and quacks.... and quacks! The other, I'm not so sure. It kind of sounds like a quiet frog sometimes, but other times just kind of chirps. Its beak is still black. I'm not confident enough to do the vent sexing thing and the dark billed one, Tubby, doesn't really do much of anything louder than a chirp. This waiting thing is tough on me. LOL I'm not good with surprises.

One thing is for sure. They are beautiful and so much fun to watch - even when they are sleeping. I think mine are approaching 8.5 weeks. They are starting to flap vigorously and tip toe a few steps. I'm probably going to be clipping their wings very soon - which I hate to do, but they are just to tame and friendly to let fly around wild.

I am so sorry! :hit I let Zorro and her babies ou when they were 3 weeks old and I really thought they were big enough and then a week later she came home with only 9... :hit She lost a brown one. I should have come looking for them more often but I really thought they were big enough.

I haven't seen them since Monday but they look a lot like the darker ones, just the inside part of their feathers is lighter. I will make pictures when they come home.

I'm trying to figure out the sex of a huge bunch of ducks. If one has been quacking for a while and the other is silent he probably is a boy.

One of Donsje's babies had been limping and last week I noticed he had a piece of net stuck around his leg. A piece of MY net, I feel so bad! I never noticed before! My brother helped to take it off and the duckling is walking so much better now, I can't even tell which one it was. And Donsje is no longer limping and still visiting every day. The babies are very cheeky, standing in front of the door demanding food.

Julie is visiting with her kids too, they are so big now. I counted them today and missed one, but maybe he is exploring on his own? :(

Back
Top Bottom