Malnourished Chick

memrymaker

In the Brooder
Jun 26, 2016
This little blue Cochin was seriously malnourished when I picked her up. She is on her way to full recovery now and I am wondering if she will ever catch up to her normal size? I was told she was 2 months old. I have 5 chicks that same age which make make up my entire flock and she looks like a 4 week old (at best)! Poor girl...
1f615.png

Any advice for a speedy recovery, other than major protein and chick boost, which I am already doing?

I am also wondering, how can I tell if she is a bantam Cochin or standard size? I was told she was a standard, but she was SO small that I am concerned. She is definitely taller now - which is a good sign, for me. I have only had her for a week and a half.

Last edited:
I would give her a little special attention. Separate her from the others for a few minutes each day to ensure she is getting extra food. Not sure how you can tell until she gets older. I have a very small RIR. She too was malnourished as a chick. Full grown hen now and very small.

I think you are doing all the right things. Upping the protein, maybe give her some electrolytes as well. I love her coloring:D. Please keep us posted.

My white cochin is half the size of my partridge. They are the exact same age. I find that she is catching up but very slowly! I bet your girl will be fine with a little extra TLC! Like Outpost JWB said give her some extra time alone with the feed, also check her crop frequently to make sure she is getting enough when she is with the others!

Thanks for the advice! I will get some vitamins and electrolytes today.

I have her in quarantine with my buff Brahma - they both came in this way. Both are in the garage and they've been separated, even from each other (as there is a 2 month age difference)! They are both growing significantly now, but are still small for their ages. It's quite sad.

I was told they were in the same run, but I noticed after taking them that the buff was pecking at this Cochin chick harshly - and often. I finally let them in together last night, after a week and a half separated and they seem to be ok. The brahma was said to be 4 months but had NO tail feathers!

I have several two month olds in my run and they are huge compared to these girls!! They are both growing now with the uptake in protein and separation. I have no idea if they were seriously neglected, crowded out of food by older hens or just runts - I suspect all three!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom