Mama and baby chicks

Aidyl

In the Brooder
May 7, 2021
Good morning. I have a hen who hatched 4 chicks on May 5th and May 6th. We brought her in to our garage, where before she was in a run/coop with her sister and a friend that is about their same size. They are all females. We brought her out because there was confusion among the other 2 hens who felt the need to sometimes sit on the eggs but then abandon. Our broody hen was vigilant. So we brought her inside to a brooder box in our garage to hatch the chicks. There were just aspects that we felt that was the best thing to do...one being that the first chick to hatch we found dead in the coop with the 3 hens the next morning and we don't have a camera set up to see what all happened and the broody hen seemed stressed with the other hens. At present we have just over 40 chickens, but they are divided into different groups. My question is, when is it a good time to put mama hen back in with her sister and little friend along with the chicks? When integrating new chickens to our flocks we would do it at night (after having quarantined them for a time). But, this is a situation we haven't had to come across yet, because this is our own first generation chicks from our own chickens.
I don't know if it would be best to set them in the coop at night and see how it goes? Or would it be best to do it during daylight hours so we can keep an eye on how she does protecting them and how the other hens react to the chicks? And what age would be best to do this? She is a very good mother and has taken great care with them.
Thank you all!

My question is, when is it a good time to put mama hen back in with her sister and little friend along with the chicks?
This correlates with the last question, but Mama Hen should protect her chicks.
I don't know if it would be best to set them in the coop at night and see how it goes? Or would it be best to do it during daylight hours so we can keep an eye on how she does protecting them and how the other hens react to the chicks?
It really doesn't matter, but I would do it in the day.
And what age would be best to do this? She is a very good mother and has taken great care with them.
Depending on your temperature, they should be good to live outside by 3-6 weeks.

I'm in a similar situation, and am interested in seeing what others say.

What I have been doing is supervised free range times. Bigger space and more neutral than the run. This seems to be working well. Most of the other girls will investigate, but mostly leave the chicks and mama alone.

I did have one fight breakout with mama and another hen. Our rooster quickly broke it up and ran the challenging hen away and mama went back to her babies. Chicks are 3 weeks old.

The rooster will eye the chicks up occasionally, but doesn't seem to mind them.

I was almost at the point of putting them back in the run when I saw someone post about a snake taking a young chick.😳 I'm going to give them another week or 2 and make sure we do everything we can to prevent such a thing from happening. I know you can't prevent EVERYTHING, but want to do what we need to save ourselves from any regrets.

Back
Top Bottom