TheBirdBabe

Songster
10 Years
Jun 8, 2013
Hello everyone!
I recently purchased 3 chicks in the last few weeks for one of my mama hens. She was unsuccessful at hatching some eggs.. so naturally, I felt bad for her & needed to get her some. šŸ˜†
She's been a great mom until the last few days. She's more "hands" off now & let's the babies figure stuff out for themselves.. which is good to an extent.
It looks (to me) like 2 will be roos & 1 may be a hen. But weirdly enough, one of the little roos has been picking on the hen as of late! Relentlessly chasing her around, pecking her, grabbing her & even dragging her around!
I've isolated him for the moment, I'm scared he'll hurt her in the long run. However, I don't need ANOTHER rooster, but I would hate to "rid" a possible hen.

What would you do?

(The first picture of the brown baby is the aggressor, the second of the black/white is the one being bullied)

Attachments

• 20230516_072634.jpg
    20230516_072634.jpg
    603.6 KB · Views: 21
  • 20230514_190408.jpg
    20230514_190408.jpg
    352.6 KB · Views: 13
How old are your other birds? It's time to introduce these bratty cockerels to other adults, who will most likely teach them humility. It may make them more adoptable...
Mary
Hi, Mary! I like your thinking! šŸ˜… This one is the only brat in the bunch.

I do have worries about letting them run with my "big" chickens. These guys are bantams, while some in my flock are huge Orpingtons! I have a few that I think are Rhode Island Reds & they've shown some aggression towards them in the run. I would feel so bad if anything were to happen to them!

This is true, especially those RIRs. Start slowly introducing this brood, with mama, while you are present. The youngsters need to have places to run away and hide if necessary. Chicken society can be tough, but this brat is useless unless he's capable of learning polite behavior. It can be fun to watch...
Mary

Back
Top Bottom