Mama duck seems to be brooding again.

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Elizabeth B Sharplin, Jun 3, 2017.

1. Elizabeth B Sharplin

Elizabeth B Sharplin New Egg

Jun 3, 2017
    Hello, I am new to the forum and have a question. Let me introduce myself. I am not totally new but haven't had poultry in many years. I now have 2 mature roosters, 6 adult hens, 18 9 week old baby chicks mixed breeds. I also have a male, female and 5 2 week old ducks mom hatched. They have been in a pen because we lost another female I suspect to an owl. Mama is laying again and seems to be broody again, paying little attention now to these babies. I am not certain but am concerned she is abandoning them. Can I get some feedback on this please?

2. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Sits With Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    Some aren't good moms. If she's laying again than generally it means they are done with the last batch. I would watch to see how she interacts with them, whether she's caring for them or ignoring them. Depending on your temperatures you may have to step in.

drumstick diva likes this.
  3. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    agree with oldhenlikesdogs - you may also want to post on the "duck thread," for their advice.

4. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by