Mama hen keeps picking at the dark spots

Shezadandy

Crowing
7 Years
Sep 26, 2015
Portland OR
OK so … I've never had this problem with any of the broody hens with however many dozens of chicks I've raised ----

I got chicks for my broody hen after she declined to be persuaded against broodiness. The problem are the two California Leghorns (they have little black dots in their fuzz). She won't stop picking at the small dark patches. It's not a mean spirited thing - she's not trying to hurt them. I think she's genuinely puzzled by the spots and why they're not coming off- the small dark spots on what is otherwise a bright white/yellow chick.

I took them away during the day today because I couldn't bear to hear the "why are you doing this to me" peeps, though she hadn't harmed them. For now they're tucked back into bed with the hen. I've got them in a crate in the house.

So: What do I do? Dye for the sole purpose of disguising the darker spots came to mind, but I'd really rather not, only as a last ditch option. Or trying to trim out the dark fuzz spots with really small curved scissors. Hm. Not to go limiting options too far - but pinless peepers are off the table.

Ideas?

The chick on the right has a couple spots that are just out of view in the picture, but the one closest to the bottom shows the little black spots. As adults they'll be mostly white with some black or grey feathers mixed in.

Today has gone better- got home to find both of the California leghorns standing on her back.
P1280958.JPG

Back
Top Bottom