Mama Muscovy abandoned nest at 3 weeks...

Humanbean68

Songster
Jul 8, 2020
I went out after dark to check everything and found her wandering around the enclosure, and the eggs were cold to the touch. I guided her back into the nest and waited until she settled on them, but this morning she’s off again, just standing up beside them. The eggs are very cold. 😟
Any guesses as to why she would do this? She’s an experienced mother and has always been a rockstar brooder in past years. Now she’s wandering around looking kind of dazed and subdued. I removed the eggs.

Are the eggs in an incubator now? She could be ill.
No, I don’t have an incubator. They were exposed at around 40F for many hours before I went back out this morning. I thought she was settling back on them last night but it’s likely she did not.
I AM worried about illness but not sure what it would be. Everyone else seems perfectly healthy at this point. She looks pretty normal except for her caruncle skin seems a bit pale.

Attachments

• 83B685D2-0CA7-4963-A309-CEE85472F4D9.jpeg
    83B685D2-0CA7-4963-A309-CEE85472F4D9.jpeg
    746.3 KB · Views: 0
No, I don’t have an incubator. They were exposed at around 40F for many hours before I went back out this morning. I thought she was settling back on them last night but it’s likely she did not.
I AM worried about illness but not sure what it would be. Everyone else seems perfectly healthy at this point. She looks pretty normal except for her caruncle skin seems a bit pale.
You would be best to isolate her from your others although your other ducks are likely to be already exposed to anything she has that is infectious. Isolation will reduce the amount of exposure

Have you seen her eating and drinking? She's likely lost weight due to brooding and we want to make sure she regains.
♥️

You would be best to isolate her from your others although your other ducks are likely to be already exposed to anything she has that is infectious. Isolation will reduce the amount of exposure
Thanks, I was about to and when I went back out to start doing that there was a giant RAVEN in her nest box. Poor thing, she was terrified and that’s why she abandoned the nest. Putting netting up over the run today, hopefully she will start over. 😢

Thanks, I was about to and when I went back out to start doing that there was a giant RAVEN in her nest box. Poor thing, she was terrified and that’s why she abandoned the nest. Putting netting up over the run today, hopefully she will start over. 😢
Wow. Poor duck mama! Do feed her up as mentioned by others as laying takes its toll on a duck's own nutritional state

Wow. Poor duck mama! Do feed her up as mentioned by others as laying takes its toll on a duck's own nutritional state
I’ve been hand feeding her whole raw smelts every few days, so she gets her share of the treats. 🙂 Going to give her some more today. I’ve just finished covering the run and coaxed her back into the nest where she’s sitting on two chicken eggs, but I have eggs from the other hens that have been in the fridge for a few days that are likely fertile....i’m going to try slipping a few under her once they come up to room temp and see what happens.

Back
Top Bottom