Mamma Hen

Sunbeard

Chirping
11 Years
Apr 3, 2012
So this last weekend my wife, the kids, and I bought 18 little chickies. 1 died first night (pasty butt boo) Anyhoo, so we have these chicks cause none of our hens seem to want to go broody...

Tonight my Light Brahma (Bessie, I mean what else do you call a Brahma (cow)) She was acting all wierd.. and was on the nest really late in the evening... which she never does. She also made this weird clucking noise when i got close to her on the nest. Is this Broody behavior? Shes sitting on the nest as we speak... and always roosts at night, till now. 13 Eggs shes sittin on.

Oh dear... 13 + 17 = a whole lot of chicks....
ep.gif
+ the 4 adults...

Its exciting, Shes from our first little flock of birds. So we get to see some hatch I hope. And maybe some from the ones that just got eaten the other day.

WEE!

Sunbeard

Try to move her and see what happens. Be prepared cause if she is broody she will be furious. My docile little Cochin put a hole in my hand for doing that. Wow was she ticked. I currently have 6 broodies at the moment. They were a day late and a dollar short because I had already hatched 20 and have 40 more in the incubator. The only one allowed to be broody right now is my silkie. She has 2 eggs she has sat on for almost 3 weeks. She is so close to being a mommy. Can't wait.

This was her first night on the eggs... I did try to lift her to count the eggs... in the past when I thought she was going broody (always in daytime) Shed protest but then get off the nest. This evening she was very vocal about it and giving me what for in chicken ( I can only imagine) but there was no pecking involved. Just checked on her again... shes still just sitting there. Shes such a good chicken... I hope shes going to sit cause we've always thought she'd make a good mamma.

Sun

Same predator got my "mamma"
barnie.gif
. I put a fence up around the coop and put my pit bull in with the chickens. Bring it on Mr Fox or Coyote....

Sally seems to like hanging out with the chickens. And the occasional "Scooby Snack" Is a bonus for her too.
sickbyc.gif

Well all the babies are growing great besides the bouts with pasty bum with the silkies, but now everyone is getting bigger and feathering up. How do you suggest I introduce the new babies to the adults? One of my hens popped one of the chicks on the head so I'm figuring that just letting them "meet" is not the best approach. Look forward to hearing from ya.

Back
Top Bottom