Managing a noisy cockerel?

sophiejw

Chirping
9 Years
Jun 2, 2010
I have a beautiful cockerel called Lucky Jim. He is a 9 month old black Australorp.

I'm really quite fond of Lucky Jim, he's nice natured, doesn't bother my 2 year old and really looks after the hens. So I want to keep him. My problem is he's pretty noisy (though the situation has improved significantly now it's just him and not him plus the 3 other cockerels I sold). My husband is very offended by the noise and keeps muttering he's going to turn him into stew
sad.png

So, what I'm after is any thoughts or advice that might help me with Lucky Jim's noisyness. He does go on a bit during the day, but we'll have to live with that. The real problem is the cock a doodling from 5am onwards. I have a stable I could block the window to so there was minimal light in- if I put him in there over night so he couldn't see the light would that make him start up later? He shares a hen house with the hens, I never shut that at night though as they have an enclosed run that I lock up at night once they're all back from free ranging.

Our house has a field which backs onto our garden, the hen run is at the garden end of the field, if I put him down the other end of the field would it make any difference to how much we could hear? (although the neighbours down there might be a bit annoyed lol).

Any thoughts much appreciated even if it's just to say it's pointless and I should buy my hubby some earplugs
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom