Managing a noisy cockerel?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by sophiejw, May 1, 2011.

1. sophiejw

sophiejw Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2010
    I have a beautiful cockerel called Lucky Jim. He is a 9 month old black Australorp.

I'm really quite fond of Lucky Jim, he's nice natured, doesn't bother my 2 year old and really looks after the hens. So I want to keep him. My problem is he's pretty noisy (though the situation has improved significantly now it's just him and not him plus the 3 other cockerels I sold). My husband is very offended by the noise and keeps muttering he's going to turn him into stew [​IMG]

So, what I'm after is any thoughts or advice that might help me with Lucky Jim's noisyness. He does go on a bit during the day, but we'll have to live with that. The real problem is the cock a doodling from 5am onwards. I have a stable I could block the window to so there was minimal light in- if I put him in there over night so he couldn't see the light would that make him start up later? He shares a hen house with the hens, I never shut that at night though as they have an enclosed run that I lock up at night once they're all back from free ranging.

Our house has a field which backs onto our garden, the hen run is at the garden end of the field, if I put him down the other end of the field would it make any difference to how much we could hear? (although the neighbours down there might be a bit annoyed lol).

Any thoughts much appreciated even if it's just to say it's pointless and I should buy my hubby some earplugs [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by