Managing Crowing

Does the "No-Crow" Collar actually work? I wanna start hatching, but roosters are too noisy for my neighborhood. I've seen the No-Crow in ads and stuff, but I'm not sure if it is true.
I have no personal experience, but the subject keeps coming up on here.

I've read of people who had good results (crowing was enough quieter that it worked for them.)

I've read of people who considered the collars useless (crowing was still too loud.)

And I've read of roosters that died while wearing the collar because it was too tight and the person did not realize that until it was too late.

Based on what I've read, I do not intend to try such collars. But since there ARE some people with good results, you might decide it's worth trying, given your particular situation.

Another idea I have seen suggested: bring the rooster into your own house for the night, and only let him outside with the hens during the daytime. This way the rooster does not wake your neighbors up with nighttime or early morning crowing, although of course they would still hear him during the day.

I've used a no crow collar with a silkie cockerel before. I checked it once or twice a day. It quieted his crow quite a bit.

Back
Top Bottom