Managing flock turn over

I have a 50% mix of Australops and Rhode Island Reds. the flock is still young (approx 7.5 months).
The Austrolops are a bit bigger and seem a LOT more broody. egg wise they seem pretty comparable.

Anyway I want to start phasing out the Austroos and going all Rhode Island Red.
What would be the recommended approach?

i was thinking of letting one of the Austrolops raise some Rhode Island Red eggs next time they went broody and then start cycling chickens as they mature.

Any recommendations?

43B4E7CE-395F-42EF-925E-1134E99BA739.jpeg

Yet another broody Austrolop for attention.

I have a 50% mix of Australops and Rhode Island Reds. the flock is still young (approx 7.5 months).
The Austrolops are a bit bigger and seem a LOT more broody. egg wise they seem pretty comparable.

Anyway I want to start phasing out the Austroos and going all Rhode Island Red.
What would be the recommended approach?

i was thinking of letting one of the Austrolops raise some Rhode Island Red eggs next time they went broody and then start cycling chickens as they mature.

Any recommendations?

That sounds like a good plan.

Alternately, you could sell your unwanted Australorps now while they're young and valuable and use that money to buy new RIR chicks.

You might sell off all but your favorite and most reliably broody of the Australorps and let her raise the chicks/hatch the eggs for you.

While I LOVE my Australorps, I applaud the fact that you know what you want from your chickens, tried different breeds, and chose what works for your specific needs/tastes.

That is, IMO, the *real* answer to "What breed of chicken is best?"

Alternately, you could sell your unwanted Australorps now while they're young and valuable and use that money to buy new RIR chicks.

Exactly! They're easiest to sell under 1 year old.

Most buyers we've encountered believe whatever Franks uncle Bill's friend Tom has to say. Tom says layers are spent by two years old and have to go in the stewpot. And Tom knows what he's talking about because his family had 5,000 layers 🙄

Instead of a direct contradiction, we sidle past it by explaining that "this particular breed" is good for laying much longer although they slow down a bit.

I only have 9 Austrolops so not sure its worth going through the hassle of selling and then purchasing chicks. I would be more comfortable hatching our own as we really like our Rhode Island Red rooster and hens. I figure we also don’t have to worry about strange birds bringing things in as well that way.

Im wondering when would be the best time to start hatching some chicks

I only have 9 Austrolops so not sure its worth going through the hassle of selling and then purchasing chicks. I would be more comfortable hatching our own as we really like our Rhode Island Red rooster and hens. I figure we also don’t have to worry about strange birds bringing things in as well that way.

Im wondering when would be the best time to start hatching some chicks

Any time but the worst heat of a hot-climate summer or the worst cold of a cold-climate winter -- as long as you can provide suitable conditions for the little ones. :D

If you're using a broody you're at the mercy of her schedule. With an incubator you get to decide.

Back
Top Bottom