Managing pecking order?

australorp_breeder

Songster
10 Years
Sep 29, 2009
California
I was wondering how I could keep my chickens from pecking each other? I have four Jersey Giants and six Australorps altogether in one big coop. They pecked each other pretty bad (backs, and butts) a few weeks ago, but some of them managed to get their feathers back, thanks to Blue Kote. I would like to know what I can do to keep them from pecking like this, because we're sort of running out on the spray. Someone told me I could try hanging cabbage, or CDs. Has anyone ever tried that?

I hang various items throughout the pen for my ladies. Most of the time it's some food item. It seems to keep them busy with something to do. I haven't tried the CD yet. I've hung the heads of the giant sunflower plant, cabbage, and throw various garden goodies throughout the pen. This way they aren't extremely bored. They also get some free range time about 1 -2 hours in the evening. I hope this helps.

Wife, mother to 3 young adults, 1 dobie mix, 1 lab/husky mix, 1 pekinese, and 26 Barred Rocks that just started laying

Back
Top Bottom