Managing Roostesr-First time Rooster owners

TheTwoRoos

Crowing
Sep 25, 2015
Roosters are actually veey different then hens are.They make many sounds and do tons of different actions.

The reason for making this thread is to explain why have one,whether it is really that necessary,and how handling them and enteracting with them.

Just yesterday I heard about a toddler or maybe even a baby get flogged by a rooster,not only she was flogged,but the spur got sruck right beneath her eye!So,I would rather address aggressiveness first.

Obviously, roosters can be very danger,and nobody wants to deal with problem roosters.First thing first is,you need to accept the fact some roosters are Just tooo aggressive and never change,which would be a good idea to cull.Never past them on,and never breed them.There is such thing as,teaching and disciplining him,but why not take precaution beforr he begins acting off as a rooster.

Mist times peoples notice attitude change in roosters when they are becoming teenagers,most chickens have changes during that 4,5,and 6 months,some mature later on.

You should never be aggressive around roosters or do anything that could come off as a threat ir aggression.Like hitting,shoving.g,kicking off hens,and throwing things at.He should give you respect and you should give him respect.Making yourself pronounced while he is young helps him keep a positive attitude as he gets older.Walking at him,and making sur he moves is also good.Never make him too scared,just enough where he will walk out your way,and respect you working with the hens,and holding him.From young,hold all girls infront of him,so he can get the idea that,you own this territory,and you can touch his hens.Not only holding hens in his face could help him respective,holding him,hand feeding him could help keep him at a friendly state of mind with you.I currentlyhave two very friendly roosters who respect me,and even let me hold them.

What happens when none of this pays off?You can try restraining him.Having an aggressive rooster around young kids is a recipe for disaster,as you heard from the earlier story.
If experienced and have enough since,when you see a rooster coming across the yard,fast speed in your direction,you know whats about to go down.As for a toddler,they dont know,they probably dont even realize it,which is what makes them dangerous,and why kids are so easily targeted.Why children?Do not ever underestimate a chickens smartness,they know hight,they defiantly can realize kids from adults.Little kids are obnoxious and small.They chase the chickens and do tons of other things that potentially to some roosters, be seen as a threat.When roosters do attack,and can come off sudden,usually is due to modd swings,and hormones.So,always watch kids when having roosters,and even to take extra precaution,lock your roostesr up around kids.

It isn't always easy restraining a rooster,and sometimes all the hard work never works.But here are some things that are worth trying.

If you are noticing new aggressive atttiude,hilding him tight,and covering his eyes can keep him calm and show him,you are no real threat.

If he comes charging,prepair.Spray with a water hose.Never run,that shows weakness and submission.Once he comes at you try to pin him down,this shows move puts him in a submission stance,if you didnt know,chicks squat when showing submission,so this helps you present dominance.Try this several times.If he struggles getting from underneath your hands lett him go,and chase him away.If he turns around,begin flapping your hands,and/or pin him down again.Never throw things or hit him.This are fee if the tips and tricks I have heard work.
Lets move on to better things.

Why are roosters important?Roosters play a huge role in the flock.They do the breeding,they do the protecting,and they do lots of care.I have a rooster in every flock I have a rooster.Good roosters do things like watching the area,shows hens treats,and some may eevn risk their lives, some make are great protection .A good rooster also respects you.Good roosters also are good fertilizers, want chicks you need a rooster.

Bad roosters,will attack you,not do good protecting,and treat the hens very disrespectfully,and not proper care for chicks.These roosters are not much help and not needed.This doesn't mean to send em' to the freezer camp,unless they are aggressive ,seperating the non-human aggressive but stil bad,Bachelor Pads are necessary.

Roostesr have severl sounds.When they notice thimgs in the skies,birds anything,they make loud screeches,some much louder then others.They also make calling cackles when something happens and or they have noticed something.Roostesr always cause lots of commotions,but in the end it can help you be alert and the flock.Chickems have this famous thing called the wing dance.It shows courtship,and dominance.

There are many other unknown things you should know.Roostesr eat more,especially teens in growing,so providing more feed can help keep everyone full and healthy.Feeds such as layer feed should not be fed to a rooster,choosing all flock is very good idea.Too much calcium in provided in Layer Feed.Too much calcium is never good for roosters,non laying hens,and chicks.

Another common things is more then just one.Simply some roosters are far more aggressive towards roosters.Some will simplystand their ground and make it clear their the boss.Some never have any problems and can actually have a strong relationship with one another.

You do not need a rooster,but having one obviously gives you options and opportunities to see new things.
Good luck

Some very good points up above^^. A lot of times people will post, saying they have never had problems with their roosters. However, when you consider all the people on here, even though we know we each have different set ups, we tend to think that most do it like we do. What I am trying to get to, is the set up, can have a big influence on the behavior of the rooster.

Roosters and children that share a small back yard are probably asking for a wreck, There is just not enough space for them to keep apart. My run is 20 feet by 30 feet, but that is about the size of my son's back yard, where his little ones play. They run all over it. It is not enough space for a rooster + flock + kids.

If you are actually keeping birds in town, on a backyard set up and have children, I would not try a rooster until your children are nearly 8 years old.

As said above, some roosters are just to aggressive, cull them, don't take chances with your own darlings or the kids next door.

Mrs K

I'm a firm believer in its all how the rooster was raised, yes any rooster can attack but usually it's provoked in a sense. They don't typically like flashy things like jewelry or certain bright colors. Sure I've been pecked or flogged but never to the extent where I felt culling was necessary. If a rooster is a danger to a child, move the child away, but I never condone culling. I believe rehabilitation is possible. I have over a hundred birds from various species and I've never had to cull any. My tom turkey follows me everywhere, he's pretty tame but even he has attacked me a few times, none of which were his fault, I realized that I was doing something he didn't like and that was wearing certain colors like red and blue. When I stop wearing red and blue my tom is fine. Kids need to be monitored around birds anyway, there's absolutely no reason for them to ever be left unsupervised around any animal whatsoever. My daughter is almost 3 years old, I bring her around my flock all the time, but I never leave her unsupervised and I never leave room for an accident to happen. The key is in the ability to read a birds body language, one could essentially avoid an attack or at least prepare for one by having a keen eye. For instance I can tell when my Roos don't like something I'm wearing just the same as I can tell when my tom is annoyed by something.

Most attacks happen due to someone instigating them, for instance someone on byc posted a video a few days ago of a couple or so teen boys kicking at a tom turkey, they ultimately culled the tom and wrongly placed all of the blame on the bird. The blame in my opinion lied with the teen boys. 1. The one teen in particular was wearing a blue shirt with red in the middle, which probably made the tom feel threatened as if the teen boy was another male turkey. 2. The teen boy was instigating the attack by kicking the tom. Kicking is never the answer, when my tom gets fiesty I bridge the gap with a stick so he will keep his distance. I never hit or abuse my birds though. 3. The tom should have never been culled, but instead the teen should have been taught how to properly handle the tom or at the very least avoid wearing those particular colors.

What im saying is there is no reason you should have to keep your kid seperate.I belive in rehabilitation once,do not wanna have to keep redirecting a bird all the time.He would adventually have to go,thats justwhat id do if faced with the situation.

Some rooster attacks happen due to things you mention,and some are purely because they are aggressive.

It has actually been founded the more lovable they are, the more likely they are to turn out aggressive. Which is why you have to hold, but still keep your dominance announced, thats what I do and it sees to work. Not everyone does this then end up with aggressive, no good roos.

Quote: I am not sure if you mean to, but this word "condone" means to judge others actions.

I think it would be better if you just say that you do not cull birds, and have seen it work.

I see this is your opinion, I think you have a right to it, but it would be much less aggressive to others on here, if you were not condoning, or condoning other peoples actions. This should not be a judgmental forum. We all solve problems with chickens on here. Some people keep their chickens very safe from predators, some are more relaxed and let nature takes its course. Some people only keep hen flocks, some people like mixed generational flocks. Some people like pure bred birds, some people like a mixed rag-tag bunch. We just try and help people on here. No one has to take another viewpoint or advice. No one way is right and all other ways are wrong. That is not the premise of this forum.

You do have the right to your opinion, and those are your birds, do what you want with them. However, the rest of us have a right to consider what would work best for us in our own situations.

I think it is the word "condoning" as in you are judging someone else's actions, that is upsetting people. There are many people on here that do not cull birds too, that is fine. There are many aspects to this hobby, your way is not the only way.

MRs K

I do agree it's all in how the roos are raised but in my experience, the best roosters are trained by other good roosters, not by humans. Looks like I'll be testing that theory again this year since one of my new pullets ain't a pullet. But he is a hatchery bird so if he does turn out to be a meanie and attacks me, he'll be soup.

I am not sure if you mean to, but this word "condone" means to judge others actions.

I think it would be better if you just say that you do not cull birds, and have seen it work.

I see this is your opinion, I think you have a right to it, but it would be much less aggressive to others on here, if you were not condoning, or condoning other peoples actions.  This should not be a judgmental forum. We all solve problems with chickens on here. Some people keep their chickens very safe from predators, some are more relaxed and let nature takes its course. Some people only keep hen flocks, some people like mixed generational flocks. Some people like pure bred birds, some people like a mixed rag-tag bunch. We just try and help people on here. No one has to take another viewpoint or advice. No one way is right and all other ways are wrong. That is not the premise of this forum. 

You do have the right to your opinion, and those are your birds, do what you want with them. However, the rest of us have a right to consider what would work best for us in our own situations. 

I think it is the word "condoning" as in you are judging someone else's actions, that is upsetting people. There are many people on here that do not cull birds too, that is fine. There are many aspects to this hobby, your way is not the only way.

MRs K

con·done
kənˈdōn/
verb
accept and allow (behavior that is considered morally wrong or offensive) to continue.
"the college cannot condone any behavior that involves illicit drugs"
synonyms: disregard, accept, allow, let pass, turn a blind eye to, overlook, forget; More
approve or sanction (something), especially with reluctance.
"the practice is not officially condoned by any airline"

So I used the word properly by saying I do NOT condone (which means approve) the killing of Roosters solely based on their sex.

EDIT: May I add I never said my way is the only way, but I do adhere to morals... and morally I do not feel killing birds for certain reasons is right but I won't touch on that subject any further, as it would just lead to some sort of argument, and I don't want to get into all of that...

May I add I never meant to come off as rude or judgmental but like everyone else here - many have the right to speak of how they raise their birds so in that same respect I feel that I have the right to say how I raise mine. A discussion should never be one sided, everyone should have the right to say how they feel without fear of being censored. For instance I ought to be able to say hey I disagree with this and that's it, just like I know people will continue to do whatever they want if that makes sense.

Last edited:
I did not mean to imply that you used it incorrectly, but rather one should not use it at all. It is not our place as posters to approve or sanction other people's actions.

I know you believe strongly, but thought perhaps you were unwittingly using a poor choice of words.

One would think by now, I would know when to mind my own business.

Mrs K

Back
Top Bottom