Managing those eggs....

we3ernes

Songster
10 Years
Jan 2, 2013
China Spring, Texas
I built an “egg slide” based on another member’s design. It is awaiting stain and poly as I wanted a test of the angle before committing to a finish.

This is a VERY simple construction - inside cove molding (see 4th photo for what that looks like in profile) with two scrap pieces glued on either end. The cove has enough curve to keep the eggs rolling straight. It has about 1¼” fall over 36” and can hold about 2 dozen eggs. As you can see I have one Easter egger and I use her egg to mark one day’s laying from another. My girls are pullets and so the egg sizes still vary wildly.

IMG_0178.jpg

The lower end, just a piece of scrap wood glued and finish nailed on the cove molding.

IMG_0175.jpg

The upper end, fingers for scale. I did cut a small notch in this end, just to have a little more stability, but it was probably unnecessary as the cove molding has a flat backside and there are little to no side to side forces.

IMG_0176.jpg

What to look/ask for at your local big box store, this was the orange store. You can get several different moldings that would work, but this was one of the few in stock in solid pine (my husband wanted to stain it to match the counter). If you wanted to paint I would recommend getting the pre-primed mdf as it is ⅔-¾ of the cost. You can also check the crown molding section for a similar profile.

IMG_0732.jpg

Hope this helps someone else!

Sweet little project!
Saw one similar, long ago, but made of copper pipe.
Wouldn't fit on my counter, I just use egg cartons.
Might not be a good idea to have it next to the stove tho, due to splatter and heat.

Sweet little project!
Saw one similar, long ago, but made of copper pipe.
Wouldn't fit on my counter, I just use egg cartons.
Might not be a good idea to have it next to the stove tho, due to splatter and heat.
Aart, our stove is induction, so there is very little excess heat. That plus the fact that we mainly use the front burners keeps the eggs from heating up. I do stick the eggs that I am selling or donating in cartons in the fridge.

Back
Top Bottom