Managing Ventilation

chickynparadise

Chirping
5 Years
Dec 6, 2014
Sumter, SC
I built my coop floor so that the boards do not completely touch each other, for easy cleaning and ventilation during our hot/humid months. My thought was to cover the floor during the winter to reduce drafts (they have other ventilation) I put a rubber mat on the floor (easy clean-up) but the girls stopped going in their coop at night. I even found them on their outside roost in the pouring rain! I removed the mat and they are back in (mostly). Do they not like change? Do they not like the feel of the rubber? Am I worrying too much about drafts?

They do not like change...but they can adapt, just give them time and no other alternative.
Put the mat back, spread some treats on the floor, lock them in there for a day, they'll get used to it.

Thank You! I just joined this sight and love it! I had read about locking them inside but hadn't wanted to try it, but I will.
They may sputter and squawk and b!tch and moan and act like they think they are going to die.....
...but just walk away for a few hours. As long as they have water and food, they'll be fine.

HAHAHAHA I am glad you added that, I would have let them out immediately!! I want them to be happy, happy chickens make eggs! And one day I will see an egg :)

Back
Top Bottom