managing what my flock produces?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by mirandamommy, Feb 7, 2009.

1. mirandamommy

mirandamommy Out Of The Brooder

Feb 29, 2008
    Central California
    What does everyone do with their chicken poo? [​IMG] I have just been putting the shavings and dropping into the trash but would like to put it to use as fertilizer and compost. I have a fairly small backyard so no place to hide or escape from the smell...

2. rodriguezpoultry

rodriguezpoultry Langshan Lover

Jan 4, 2009
    Claremore, OK
    We put it into the compost heap during the summer and spread it over the entire garden in winter.

I usually only clean the coop 3x per year, but sometimes 4-5 depending on the weather conditions.

When I clean in the winter...I just spread the poo and shavings on the garden and let it decompose so that it won't burn the crops for the growing season.

3. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    It shouldn't smell. If it smells, there is too much poo and not enough shavings, or more likely the pile is too wet, or a similar problem. Google "composting" for more detailed advice.

At the very least, if you're going to get rid of it, find a gardening neighbor who wants it, or list it on craigslist or freecycle or such. It's VALUABLE, for improving soil - don't put it in the landfill! [​IMG]

Good luck,

Pat

4. spottedtail

spottedtail Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2007
    Minnesota
    We compost our hen manure with leaves, straw, and grass clippings.
    It's good stuff when fully decomposed.
    We occaisionally sell extra compost to egg customers.

5. Chirpy

Chirpy Balderdash

May 24, 2007
    Colorado
    We also compost ours and then use it in our garden.

6. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    This winter I've been putting the coop shavings around the garden. In fact, just today I dumped a bucket full into my garden in front of my house where I has just weeded.

Last summer I put the shavings into my yard waste bin (I'm in a city that composts yard waste as part of its recycling program). I'd like to start compsting the shavings this summer but it means removing a boxwood so that I've got a good post fot a compost bin.

So much to do!!

7. slc

slc Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2008
    Upper Michigan
    Composting is always good and with the right ratios it shouldn't smell bad if at all, however, if you do not have the room for a proper sized hot compost pile you could put an add in your paper for free chicken litter. Someone will definitely want it. It would be a shame to waste good composting material like that.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by