1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Managing your flock, too many rooster, at what age ....

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by chickenchickenbulkbulk, Jan 23, 2009.

1. chickenchickenbulkbulk

chickenchickenbulkbulk Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2008
    OHIO
    is the best to cull your Roos to put in freezer? When are they the most tender and full? My husband and I have decided to live more off of the land. It is healthier. I would appreciate any input.

2. digitS'

digitS' Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2007
    ID/WA border
    I have stopped raising roosters or meat chickens in the backyard so my answer is based on surplus pullets. The last cockerel that sneaked into the batch of pullets was re-homed as soon as I knew that he was out there. I think it was about 8 weeks.

It looks like you have dual purpose breeds for the most part. They won't grow anywhere near as fast as the Cornish X that is usually kept for meat production. I say "kept" but being around for 7 or 8 weeks isn't much "keeping."

Extra pullets here stay for about 15 or 16 weeks so they've got twice as long a run as the Cornish X I've had. They don't eat feed nearly as fast so they aren't a heck of a lot more expensive, if at all.

I wouldn't keep roosters a day longer than they are tolerable to have around, however. Whenever that magic switch is thrown that sets them off fighting for breeding rights - they would go off to "freezer camp" if they were in my backyard. Any feed conversion to weight gain is going to be very poor from that point on.

Steve

3. WestKnollAmy

WestKnollAmy The Crazy Chicken Lady Premium Member

Apr 22, 2008
    upstate SC
    I try not to keep any extra roos past 6 months old. Sometimes we just don't get around to putting them in the freezer until this age but we prefer to put them in the freezer no later than 4 months old. Life often gets in the way and it doesn't work out. I still have 2 here that are really getting the flock stirred up and I need to dispatch them quickly. Maybe tomorrow, if we get time.[​IMG]

4. honeyk

honeyk Out Of The Brooder

Mar 19, 2008
    easton, pa
    We just ended up with 3 roosters that were supposed to be hens.
    They began to get really feisty ( at about 17 weeks) and started attacking the girls...so off to the processor they went. It was the first time I ever did that and i was afraid I would not be able to deal with it. But , one is in the freezer and 2 became chicken cacciatore. And.... they were absolutely delectable. Best chicken ever...did not even have a problem enjoying them. I know we took great care in raising them and their lives were happy so I am happy too.

5. chickenchickenbulkbulk

chickenchickenbulkbulk Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2008
    OHIO
    our roos are different ages the oldest are 9months and the youngest about 5months. I guess we need to put them in the freezer before they get any older. Thanks a lot for your input. This in our first year..still learning and I hope I never know it all. DeeJay

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by